repeat endings

I’m thinking about purchasing Dorico 3.5 so I downloaded the free Dorico SE to see if Ilike the way things are organised in Dorico.
Everything seems to work very intuitive, but I can’t work out to get the repeat endings the way I’m used to do this in Finale.
I’ve made 2 screenshots, how it looks in Finale and how I made this in Dorico SE.
Is it impossible to have repeats 1 and 3 under the first hook and repeats 2 and 4 under the second hook in Dorico, or do I have to change the settings in the bottom panel or maybe elsewhere? I hope someone has the solution for my problem.

Best regards, Arjen

Welcome to the forum.

In Dorico Pro this is easy, but it requires access to Engrave mode, which you don’t have in SE.
Dorico SE is a very good way of getting to grips with the ins and outs of how Dorico works, but if you want an actual feature comparison with (the full version of) Finale, you really ought to consider a Dorico Pro trial. SE is very intentionally restricted, or else Steinberg wouldn’t have a viable business model.

Hi Pianoleo, thanks for your very fast response, the example you attached is very helpfull.
This is exactly what I was looking for, I will download the Dorico Pro trial and I saw a nice discount offer on the Pro version when switching from Finale to Dorico. I really like the Dorico user interface.

Bilde av Sjugur og trollbrura.pdf (112.9 KB)

Hello, I have a problem with start repeat. I use two repeat ending, like in the file I have uploaded. After the repeat ending in the second ending, the cursor jumps back to the pick-up bar, not to the start repeat. Is it a way to solv this problem? The first repeat ending is set to 1, 3 and the second to 2, 4. in Engrave mode. Best regards Helge Heggelund

I’ve been poking around this for more than an hour, and I seen no settings that would prevent the first (or second-to-last) repeat from (apparently) erroneously clearing the function of the backward repeat in measure 1. This certainly does present a problem I hope Daniel and the Team can solve in a future update or give a suitable work-around to fix.

One (lame) solution you could try is to make Reh B a third/fifth ending and replicate the 2, 4 ending without the repeat at the start of it.

repeatTest.zip (392.1 KB)

Thanks a lot for helping, Derrek. I have seen in the manual that it should be possible to use a four doted start repeat, maybe that´s the way, but I can´t find a way to set the four doted start repeat.

Is this what you’re looking for?

Jesper

Thanks a lot, Jesper. That is what I was looking for. I have tried now, it doesn´t solve the behavior of the start repeat unfortunately. So I guess it´s just another way of expressing repeats. Thanks anyway, I have sent a request to Steinberg support now and hope to find a solution. Br Helge

If they have a solution, please report back so we all can take advantage.

1 Like

@Helge_Heggelund, you need to add one more ending to your repeat ending, i.e. a 5. ending for the bar following the end of your 2.4 ending. The last ending in a set of repeat endings cannot have an end repeat barline at the end of it.

1 Like

Thanks for a swift and good reply, I think this is the same as you suggested, Derrek. Do you know if this is a common way of notating repeats in regular scores or is it a tecknical solution to avoid problems in notation software? I ask because I have seen “my way” of notating it in handwritten scores from the composer in our choir.

It is certainly on one level something you need to do to satisfy Dorico’s requirements for playback, but I think it’s helpful in any case: you should ideally show the last ending with an open bracket to help reassure the performer that they really have finished the repeats.

1 Like

Hi Daniel,

How does one add a “5. ending” and not have the initial phrase repeat 5 times? I’m looking for an initial phrase played 4 times with two endings, each repeated once (1,3 2,4) that then go on to the next melody.

With a 5th ending, graphically it works, and I can offset the repeat image off the page, but in playback, the initial melody plays 5 times, even if I only have set “number of endings: 3” “number of times played: 4”.

Thanks.

If memory serves, I believe you can adjust the text that appears in the repeat endings using properties in Engrave mode, so you can have text displayed in each segment of the ending that is different than the actual number of played repetitions.

Thank you, Daniel.

Yes, and I’ve done that. But unless things have changed (I can’t find any changes from the posts 3 years ago), I still have to create a 5th ending in order for playback to play 1,3 and 2,4, then go on. And to get a 5th ending, I initially have to select “No. times played” as 5. And then, of course, it plays the phrase 5 times.

1,3 2,4 repeat issue - 2024-03-09.dorico (1.5 MB)

What this has done is pushed me write out the entire 4-measure phrase twice, with the first and second “endings” incorporated, then repeat that. This is probably easier for the player, also.

If I’ve missed something obvious, please let me know. Otherwise, thanks for taking the time in your undoubtedly insane schedule to respond; I really talk Dorico’s support up when I proselytize it to fellow musicians. Thank you!

This doesn’t use the repeat endings the way you did, but see if it plays the music in the order you wish.

1,3 2,4 repeat issue - 2024-03-09altered.dorico (1.4 MB)

1 Like

Thanks, Derrek. Yes, that works fine, and I had thought of using a jump like that, but was stuck in 1,3 2,4 land. This could get confusing , though, if there is more than 1 melody that goes 4 times, but it gives me another option. Thanks very much.