Repeating pop/click during recording which interrupts sound

I’m having an issue with my recordings in Cubase Artist 11. When I record my electric bass or my electric guitar a pop/click sound occurs and can be heard every 10-15 seconds which also briefly (miliseconds) interrupts my sound.

I am using a Scarlett Focusrite Solo 3rd Gen. This issue occurs when I use the instrument input as well when I go via a DI box using an XLR cable. My interface settings are 44.1 kHz and try to keep the buffer to 32 samples to have low latency when recording (I wonder if increasing to 64 may improve / remove the clicks/pops?).

There is no clipping by the way. The gain is set appropriately (always green, but may go into yellow if I slap my bass hard or I palm mute my guitar with hard strumming - both of these exceptions for the yellow gain do not occur when I get the clicks/pops).

The click/pop happens even when I am not using any plugins (i.e. just the raw sound).

I really don’t know what to do… I’d really appreciate any help. Thanks!

Hi and welcome on the forum,

I would definitely try this.

Could you test your system by using LatencyMon utility, please?

Hi Martin,

I did that yesterday actually. Please see attached. I was playing Skyrim when doing the test and let the test do its thing in the background.

Also want to mention that I have no other background apps turned on when using Cubase with the exception of Discord.

My PC specs are as follows:
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 19043) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor (12 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 8GB
Graphics Card (if for some reason this matter, I doubt though): Radeon RX 5500 XT (4GB dedicated memory)

CONCLUSION.pdf (87.2 KB)

Hi,

I would follow the suggestion from the conclusion.

1 Like

It seems that disabling the WLAN driver and increasing to 64 samples did the job. And the latency is still good.

1 Like