Replace main Cubase Icon?

Thanks so much for taking the time to prepare that, and earlier I did try exactly what you are suggesting with an icon only slightly modified in Preview. If you look at my Screen shot image three posts above, you’ll see what happens and what I see when I try to paste the modified icon back in. I don’t get that icon showing up in the Info widow like you do, and I don’t know why. I certainly have no intention of trying to make a new icon, create an .icns file and pasting it etc, until I can do what you are doing. Do you see anything in my screen image that provides a clue or needs to be changed??

BTW, your image shows Cubase 9 app. Just to be clear, I’m trying to do this in Cubase 10.

BTW, your image shows Cubase 9 app. Just to be clear, I’m trying to do this in Cubase 10.

Cubase 9, 10…or any Cubase version…doesn’t matter, once you open the Info pane, they all work the same. I used 9 because I didn’t change its icon like I already did in 9.5 and 10.

The first thing I see is an icon file has been pasted in, not the copied, edited Preview clipboard image.

Try this: open the C10 app Info pane, select whatever the heck is sitting in that upper left hand image window and click CMD/X to cut it. Cubase’s official .icn file will immediately replace it with the original red and white icon. Then follow the steps in the attached image I posted. How you got an icon file to show up there is beyond me. I’ve been doing exactly what I illustrated for years in every imaginable version of the Mac OS and Cubase and it has worked every time. I’ve also used Photoshop many times to make really sniffy versions beyond the rudimentary editing possible in Preview. That takes a little more effort to do because Photoshop doesn’t handle the icon mask layer correctly like Preview does.

Why do I get the feeling the read count on this subject just shot into the hundreds because people are waiting to see how how long my patience will hold out?

Weasel, just so you don’t think I’m a bit thick :slight_smile: I’ve attached a screen shot showing that today I can in fact do what you are doing. But I also want to point out that your process doesn’t actually pave the way to changing the entire cubase.icns file or allow someone to create a new .icns file in Photoshop and then replace the Cubase one. In the .icns file that you end up with, only the first image is changed as well, not all the other images required to be in an .icns file. My goal was to be able to create a new .icns file via Photoshop and an icon composer program, and replace the original cubase.icns. That is the only way one can truly create a decent customized file. With the Preview approach one is very limited with what one can do.
In previous versions of Cubase (prior to about 7.5), I could create custom icons, create a new cubase.icns file and simply replace the original one in Resources. That no longer works and I’m focused on learning why and if it can be done some other way.
You have exhibited great patience and provided superb instructions re. “Weasels way”, and for everything you’ve offered I am most grateful. But certainly if anyone can help me solve the more complex mystery of changing the entire .icns file completely, I would love to work with you towards finding a solution. And if you have any further tips, I would be most grateful for them as well. Many thanks, Weasel, and to all who responded so far.

Playz - I’ve run into that issue as well but found that if I copy the icon from the info window, paste and alter in whatever program you like then open it in Preview BEFORE going back to the Info window that seems to work. For example, I took this icon from Elements and altered it in Photoshop then pasted that into Preview - did a CMD/A to select then CMD/C to copy then onto the Info window. Maybe that’s the workaround?

Just curious though…have you tried doing that with Cubase 10? What works for other programs doesn’t seem to work the same with the Cubase icon, at least that’s been my experience so far. I am further complicating matters though by having Photoshop on my PC instead of my Mac with C10, and on a PC, Photoshop won’t recognize an .icns file. So I would need a photo editing program like Elements or whatever on my Mac to duplicate your test. But it’s about time I added one anyway, so maybe I can try that soon. Thanks for the input and I will continue to experiment. Cheers!

Yep, just did it for C10 and it works fine - maybe try starting from scratch and using only Preview and the Mac editing tools as you suggested - keep it in the same ecosystem.

Good suggestions, SuStudio! I kind of built a little on that and here’s what I did. In Photoshop on my PC, I created an .png image 1024 px x 1024 px with a transparent background and Saved it. One could do the exact same thing in a photo editing program on a Mac though (but not in Preview). Then I transferred the file over to my Mac Pro and opened it in Preview, hit Cmd/A to select all, then in the C10 info pane, I selected the icon in the top left corner and hit Cmd/V to Paste it in…all as you both suggested. It worked…as my attached image shows as well. This icon is too dark for my purposes, but that’s irrelevant to the procedure. I wrote out what I/we did in case anyone else wants to try it too. So this is sort of a combination of your workaround and Weasel’s procedure. It should be made clear though that one is not actually creating a new .icns file that will work ‘everywhere’; rather one is simply replacing the first image in the multi image .icns file in Cubase itself. So “workaround” (your word) is a good description for this procedure. Many thanks for your input; it was most appreciated!! Now, on with music! Cheers…frank

Excellent - looks great and glad to help out along with the others.

Just a follow up. I played with a number of different designs, but this is the one that I finally selected…at least for now. It’s meant to compliment the starker black (and white) design of Cubase 10. Feel free (Mac users especially) to use this .png file as your icon as well. Just follow the steps posted above.

I use a simple gray icon, all my desktop icons are from the same set and they look good with any wallpaper I use.

If I remember well the icon set is called “Token”.
Clipboard02.jpg

Anyway to do this on Windows? When I check the cubase 10 shortcut properties and go to ‘chance icon’ there’s only 1 available icon (it’s a .ico file).

Can’t directly help you with this, but simply try typing something like “replace program icon in Windows 10” into Google, and you will find quite a bit of information. You may need to create a Cubase .ico file at some point though.

Thanks, It was super easy with a bit of a google on converting files. I grabbed your .png files and went to convertico.com which converted them to .ico files and then changed the icon the usual Windows way. Cheers playz123!

Excellent…and thanks for the feedback. Hope you like the new icon! Cheers!