Replacing Edited audio part with its original from the Pool

Hi,
What is the fastest way to replace an edited audio clip with the one that is originally recorded ( take)

• at its origin position/time?
  • without going to pool?

would be nice to be able to right-click on the audio event in the arrange window and see an item “ replace the clip with its original ” or “ revert ” to click on.

[edited: Feb 26, 10:18PM EST]

2 Likes

Insert to original position with the track selected

How? please. I just rephrased my OP. Thank you.

I will usually just use one small piece from the arrange and extend it’s ends so that the original is in fully in view on a track. That is why I prefer to slice audio into sections before doing work such as moving cutting or adjusting.
An alternative might be to import tracks from a previous Project

What I like to see is

right-click on the audio event and see an item “replace the clip with its original” or “revert

1 Like

It is not the right way, ask a question and then if the first answer is not what you want to hear, to change your question…

What do you want to get replaced? clip, event or part?
Three different things… btw

It is about audio clips obviously as my screenshot shows ( not changed). I made in addition to Cubase 11, I added the label feature request as it is not possible the way I am describing.

But, why should this be of any use for others?
I simply don’t understand your goal…

Late reply to this, but apparently st10ss didn’t actually read Chikitin’s first question. And as to “why this is any use to others”? Please. For some reason, Cubase has made it incredibly difficult to replace a clip with an earlier recording. I’m still waiting for a logical answer after asking this question in 2 different threads weeks ago.
This shortcut recommended by Chikitin would be incredible! Why not? Very useful.

2 Likes

For what?
I can’t imagine needing this on a regular basis.
But the use of the pool is the possible solution in this case. That’s how it is already possible.

If I do a wrong or unpleasant edit, I just reverse that…

Maybe not for you. When sending a project around to different engineers and different musicians, things have a tendency to get messed up. It would be quick and useful to have this function, rather than having to search for replacement files and use the “click and drag” function which certainly isn’t working very well for me.

2 Likes

I can see the use. By the time I realize my edits weren’t great, and I want to start over, I may be way into the project, having edited a bunch of other things, so “Undo” doesn’t quite do it.
Digging up the audio in the pool and re-inserting it is a solution, but it’s not particularly convenient, and it’s pretty easy to end up with not having exact sample accurate timing if you do multi-track recording and need it to sync up exactly with other tracks, so you may end up with phasing.

The thing is, many other operations are non-destructive. There are functions to remove many processes (variaudio, stretching/warping, even non-destructive edits.) Just not those that render to audio – even though Cubase could totally remember where it “originally” came from, and could have a “revert all edits” function. So, I think the request is reasonable. Not top priority perhaps, but reasonable.

Or just make it a rule to never ever render/bounce your tracks, and always stay in non-destructive edits only :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think from time to time we nudge a sample ( such as reverse cymbal, …) or a group of samples intentionally, or by mistake and would like to get back to the original. This would be a big time saver when we have worked many hours on a project and would like to get simple but very crucial things instantly.

All the developer needs to do is, record the position values when the sample is created in the project. Note: most of the audio files I work with are rendered from VSTis.

1 Like

Agree completely.
My problem arose from letting another engineer do some Vari Audio editing of 2 vocal tracks split from 1 mic to 2 very different preamps. He didn’t understand that the selection tool has 3 different functions and it’s pretty easy to double click on it and turn it into a “lengthening” tool. (I actually don’t see a use for that because it’s so easy to mess up with it). Bad results.
Of course, John Mun has the solution to any big mistakes like mine: before performing any processes like Vari Audio, render the files in place and save that as a different project.

Thank you for that, @jwatte !

Does anyone know where there is a list of edits that are destructive vs. non-destructive?

And does “destructive” mean there is no version of the original left anywhere in the computer? How does one get around that if they want to keep a back up copy of the original unedited audio?

I’ve been reading in another thread that “flatten” is destructive. What about “bounce”, “render”, “VariAudio”?

Thank you!

Bounce requesting any help please with my questions in last post immediately above.

Thank you!

I use track versions for this kind of task:

V1: recording, just the raw audio.
V2: duplicate from V1, add comping, without fades.
V3: duplicate from V2, add fades.
V4: dublicate from V3, render and replace the edited files, additionaly, use variaudio or other stuff that benefits from a continuous file.

With this aproach, I can allways go “back in time” in the case I have missed something or want to try a different take, etc. Also, the raw audio does not get deleted when I empty the trash bin in the pool, becaue they are still in the session, just not visible. If I want to, i can just erase the track version and empty the trash bin when I’m done with the project and the client has signed it off.

1 Like

This is beautiful, @Tomess , thank you!

I have very recently gone to a work flow almost exactly like yours, and reading your post makes me so happy, because I see it actually works in practice.

I was concerned that when I rendered (and I notice you didn’t say “bounced” or “flattened”, you said “rendered”), that the audio clip in the Track Version #1 would point to the rendered audio file on the hard disk … that the original raw file would have been replaced by the rendered one and no longer exist!

Thanks again :slight_smile:

Nothing gets replaced or deleted.
Just references that are set to new files.

This is great news of course, thanks @st10ss !

Not sure about Cubase terminology, that makes it “non-destructive” in Cubase speak?

I wonder what are examples of destructive audio processes, and what exactly the difference between the two are …