Request : No more resizing !

I remain completely mystified by all this as I simply do not ever seem to suffer from window resizing.

My normal working template commands the project window to stretch almost all the way across two monitors, and unless I change things that is how it stays, regardless of whatever editing or VST window I bring up.

It would help if all other windows could be made “always on top”.

At this moment however some windows (like the mixer) can be made “always on top” and others can not. As a result you get unexpected resizing of the project window. That’s simply annoying…

And yes - I should be possible to maximize the project window in stead of keeping it floating. That’s common use in nearly all Windows applications I know, so it is not rocket science. You see - keeping a window floating has the drawback of having a extra bar on top and so reduces workspace. Secondly - if the project window is not “docked” it can easily re-sized or moved by mistake.

I really like Cubase, but some things are just needlessly annoying. If this behavior would be corrected it would increase the usability of this application.

To me it seems there is nothing wrong to have some wishes (I make no demands), and hope this will be addressed in the near future.

I’m very surprised these windows behaviour are still in cubase 6.5 (I’m 5.5.3 user )
and +1 Steinberg must modify this annoying issue !!!
no other software have these strategies for the windows it’s a nightmare to make again and again the same resizings all the time …
I have 2 screens, and another examples :

• when you open a midi piano roll : allways the new windows is bigger than the screens and I must resize to have the cursor at the bottom, always and always … it must be appear in full screen at the beginning.
  • when I create a new project my list of folder is long, and systematicaly cubase doesn’t show the default folder that it propose to me I must scroll to verify the folder … why the folder doesn’t appear in the middle of the list for example by default ?

It seems like little things but when you work often with your DAW it’s really really annoying !!! I agree totaly with this thread.

Now to my mind that looks like a tall order for Cubase. I’d say something’s got to give.

If your friend’s DAW is based on your rig it doesn’t surprise me he gets it as well. Do you have any friends who’s rig you didn’t build to see how that works.
I’m with Keres, quite mystified as to how you can’t simply resize as per his method and not get the Windows to settle.
I feel you’re missing something simple and obvious (though on second thoughts it can’t be that obvious). Don’t get me wrong, I, and I suspect most users, do that somewhere along the line with Cubase as there’s so many ways to set the booger up.
Long ago I did have to adopt the resizing maneouvre myself because that is the way Cubase handles it’s windows to get Window Layouts in the Project page and the editors, like the Score page. There’s a lot goes on.
Seems to be another case to reprogram the user rather than spend years haranguing the programmer. :neutral_face:

+1

I’ve literally NEVER had any windows re-size on their own ever since I stopped clicking the maximize button many years ago.

Just to make things clear… it’s the Cubase PROJECT window within Cubase we’re complaining about, right? The Cubase program as a whole does not re size itself. It happens to me when I edit a fade or cross fade. Very very annoying.

@conman

We are MANY in that situation. Since you don’t declare yourself as a Steinberg team member, there’s no reason for you to try and minimize OUR VERY REAL issue. Be mystified all you want, we know EXACTLY what we are witnessing.

Regarding what you think you can deduce, let me rephrase that.

I have owned +10 different DAWs over the years (all types of hardware and OS). The Cubase Project Window resizing was happening on EVERY SINGLE ONE. My latest DAW is the most advanced sophisticated stable reliable I EVER WORKED WITH. Except for… Cubase and that PROJECT WINDOW RESIZING bullshit.

If your friend’s DAW is based on your rig it doesn’t surprise me he gets it as well.

By “my specs”, I meant introducing my friend to an excellent professionnal DAW builder and telling him : Don’t look at the price, buy the best of everything from him, ask him to watercool the hell out of it and get back to making Royalties. OS-wise, my friend didn’t go for control freak tweaking as I did. He’s facing the SAME Cubase Main Project resizing issue and EVER HAS.

Seems to be another case to reprogram the user rather than spend years haranguing the programmer

Unfortunately, rhetoric doesn’t replace debugging. Steinberg is failing its customers.

This is what I mend by saying all windows should be configurable as “always on top”. All goes well with a maximized project window, until a window (like cross fade) that is not configurable as “always on top” pops up and the project window goes wonky. Some plugins (that belong to the Cubase install, like some MIDI plugins) have the same problem.

I should think it would be easy to solve this problem. Just make all non-project windows configurable as “always on top” and the problem is solved. The resizing of the (maximized) project window would not happen any longer. As I said - it’s not rocket science in my humble opinion.

As I said before - this all could be now solved by not maximizing the project window but in stead just re-size it. The drawback is a reduced workspace because the window top bar just takes extra space, and it’s more easy to accidentally move the project window.

Again - I will make no demands (that’s childish to do), but I really would be happy to see this somewhat irritating annoyance addressed, and so make the use of Cubase an even nicer program to use. Nothing wrong with that I should think…

No it’s not. Maybe some, but not me for instance, and Conman apparently. I have not ever had the problem of resizing windows, since I work with what I get. If software doesn’t change, the user has to.

I’ll repeat myself. Never EVER click the “maximize” button! If you want a window full screen (maximized) then pull the sides of the window out to the edges of the screen. You only need to do that one time because Cubase always remembers the latest setting… just set it and forget it.

If you think

• you don’t have this issue (which CAN’T be solved with the actual as well as previous versions of Cubase) and
  • you are not part of the company,

just spare us your useless paternalizing comments.

If software doesn’t change, the user has to.

That’s exactly what you are witnessing. Changing users who are starting to spread the word that this company FAILS THEM.

You only need to do that one time because Cubase always remembers the latest setting

That is NOT TRUE. Cubase will resize the Project Window even when it’s not maximized. Not immediately, but for sure, it WILL. IT DOES.

@Stealth

If you had read my complete post you would have seen the remark:

“As I said before - this all could be now solved by not maximizing the project window but in stead just re-size it. The drawback is a reduced workspace because the window top bar just takes extra space, and it’s more easy to accidentally move the project window.”

So - for my daily use I do not maximize the project window, but scale it - exactly as you said. However for ME it feels like an unnecessary work-around. I would just like to have a maximized, non-movable, non-automatically rescaling project window, just like the majority of the software I use. That’s in no way saying the work-around is unusable (and in no way saying Cubase is severely lacking), but only saying the work-around it is just not my preferred behavior. And seeing the remarks over here I have the feeling I am not a crazy demanding madman :wink:.

Can I live with the work-around? Absolutely no problem! But I ask again - what’s wrong with just having some wishes? It would only improve an already good program…

I’m not telepathic. I don’t know what you’ve got or how many of them. What I see here considering this outburst is that you don’t want to do the simple thing of either taking the advice of NOT using the Maximiser but instead dragging the window which is the classic Cubase window solution SINCE the Atari.
If not and that doesn’t work for you then you are expecting Steinberg to rewrite a program which suits a vast majority of long-time users and rejig the base of the program to suit you because you are apparently unwilling to investigate your own computer build practises.
That might not be the case but that’s what it looks like so far and I see I’m not the only one with that point of view.
It’s frustrating sure but don’t get angry with us as we are only trying to solve a problem for you by pointing you in other avenues of investigation. It’s frustrating for us too to see that you can’t get this fixed as simply as we’d like, to stop you being so angry with it.
Have you emailed support on the matter? It might take a few goes to get the proper support guy who has this sort of problem down pat but getting an answer will be quicker than here. Especially as you have had the problem for so long.
There are other forums as well that could offer better help with this.
Have you googled it “Window sizing problem” say?

Like this; Problem: "Maximize" Window in Coherence Randomly Resizing | Parallels Forums
and reading the post there’s maybe a clue as to how it happens as this appears to happen with a Windows inside a Mac overlay that the Windows don’t resize.
Now it has long been my impression that Cubase does impose it’s own environment on the OS to a certain extent and that could be what leads to this behaviour. But it’s the first theme I looked at and already I’m getting a picture of what might need to be done. I’m guessing that there’s a registry error behind this somehow. But beyond that idea I need to do more thinking as I’ve only put 10 seconds to googling my own suggestion.
Need rest as recovering from an operation. Bye.

DRDRDR is right. It’s messed up either way. +1000 on this issue and a SOLUTION! Everytime we humans talk instead of doing something about an issue it’s an EXCUSE and only prosponding the subject. Everything is possible.It is what you make of it. So tired of the windows collapsing when I press vst.

People are jumping over to Presonus studio one, I’m not suprised. They’ve really done something that the users want.

Yeah you’re right… my bad :blush:

Actually I don’t like that top bar taking up space either (because of the way I have my inspector setup with the EQ curve, Inserts, and Channel all showing), so what I do is I tuck the top bar underneath the Cubase menu bar. The only drawback is you get a vertical bar on the right, but thats not really a big deal for me since horizontal space if much less important than vertical space.

*edit: uploaded a screenshot of top bar tucked underneath the menu bar

@Stealth

No problem :wink:

Hmm… sounds like a a solution too. Indeed - Horizontal workspace is less critical (especially on a 1080p 24" monitor), than vertical space for me.

Still - if I could make a small wish… :sunglasses:

I’m not telepathic. I don’t know what you’ve got or how many of them.

Glad you realize that.

What I see here considering this outburst is that you don’t want to do

What you say you see doesn’t make it real. Qualifying my messages as outbursts doesn’t hurt their validity whatsoever, neither does qualifying my intentions by fabulating an inexistant reluctancy.

the simple thing of either taking the advice

Since they don’t solve anything, you can stop calling them advices and expecting people to take them.

of NOT using the Maximiser

I have used the Maximizer by hand, with and without keyboard shortcuts, inside Cubase macros, in every conceivable way. I am now NOT using it anymore. And NOT USING IT DOES NOT HELP EITHER.

but instead dragging the window which is the classic Cubase window solution SINCE the Atari.

Dragging the Window WON’T WORK. Drag it, and a few minutes or hours after, upon moving something else, the Project Window will RESIZE ITSELF. Usually BIGGER than the whole Cubase Interface, which means we have to lose minutes each time grabbing the Project edges to resize it’s Window again before we can get back to work.

If not and that doesn’t work for you then you are expecting Steinberg to rewrite a program

Finally you get it. YES, WE WANT STEINBERG TO REWRITE THEIR SOFTWARE.
Since you like to refer to “vast majorities”, I’d say WE WANT STEINBERG TO REWRITE THEIR SOFTWARE like VAST MAJORITIY of software users ALL OVER THE WORLD regarding ALL SORTS OF SOFTWARE since EVER. The difference, is that our crowd as been requesting that FOR YEARS and has been ignored FOR YEARS by Steinberg. YEARS !!! That’s why we are now saying : FIX THAT or we will hurt your brand, we will spend our money elsewhere and we’ll make sure we convince as many people as we can to do the same.

which suits a vast majority of long-time users and rejig the base of the program to suit you

Me against the vast majority of long-time users. You’re funny.

because

Have you googled “cum hoc ergo propter hoc” say ?

you are apparently unwilling to investigate your own computer build practises.

You’re not telepathic, remember.

That might not be the case

Because it isn’t.

but that’s what it looks like so far and I see I’m not the only one with that point of view.

I don’t care. I’m not asking for your friendship, I’m requesting STEINBERG TO FIX THEIR SOFTWARE.

It’s frustrating sure but don’t get angry with us as we are only trying to solve a problem for you

I didn’t ask for your help. I asked for a STEINBERG STATEMENT. Since THE FIRST MESSAGE “Dear Steinberg Team”.

by pointing you in other avenues of investigation.

I have investigated that subject to death. I don’t need more investigation. I am working to get STEINBERG TO FIX THEIR SOFTWARE OR TO CLEARLY SAY THEY DON’T CARE ABOUT US, THEIR “long-time users”.

It’s frustrating for us too to see that you can’t get this fixed as simply as we’d like, to stop you being so angry with it.

There’s nothing wrong with Anger. Nobody asked you to read a topic which you are not concerned with.

Have you emailed support on the matter?

You suggested me to reach to real life people and studios, now to email support, other forums. Next, would you recommend I light a candle ? Writing here is what I am doing now. Someone at Steinberg is reading these very messages. If he ignores us he still has to assume that.

It might take a few goes to get the proper support guy who has this sort of problem down pat but getting an answer will be quicker than here. Especially as you have had the problem for so long. There are other forums as well that could offer better help with this. Have you googled it “Window sizing problem” say?

Seriously ? Yes, I have.

Like this; > Problem: "Maximize" Window in Coherence Randomly Resizing | Parallels Forums
and reading the post there’s maybe a clue as to how it happens as this appears to happen with a Windows inside a Mac overlay that the Windows don’t resize.
Now it has long been my impression that Cubase does impose it’s own environment on the OS to a certain extent and that could be what leads to this behaviour. But it’s the first theme I looked at and already I’m getting a picture of what might need to be done. I’m guessing that there’s a registry error behind this somehow. But beyond that idea I need to do more thinking as I’ve only put 10 seconds to googling my own suggestion.
Need rest as recovering from an operation. Bye.

Take care and be sure to request higher standards from your Doctor than you ask from Steinberg.

‘We’ being you and whose army? And why do you even bother after so many many years? I wouldn’t spend another hour on software that gets me wound up like that. Bye.

We’ being you and whose army? And why do you even bother after so many many years? I wouldn’t spend another hour on software that gets me wound up like that. Bye.

I couldn’t care less about your opinion.

Everytime a person speaks up and are not satisfied with something,they are looked at as strange,weird,different and always gets this message sub-communicated:Be quiet and don’t ask questions…learn to deal with it.

Well whatever others say doesn’t really matter.But If that’s what steinberg folks are thinking,IF that’s the case,they will lose customers. They should take peoples wishes into CONSIDERATION, learn and grow as a company. We didn’t just buy a product.We bought (hopefully) a lifetime worth of “friendship” and an ever evolving product. Always wanting our product to meet our expectations and to be at it’s peak…As good as anything out there,if not better. A customer can be a customer for life. To sell and make a profit should never be the case but try to give the masses what they desire,so we can shine and be all we can be.

This problem has been a problem for the masses for a very long time. It’s an annoyance yes,but it’s very clutsy and troublesome…So if anyone don’t like it…Respect that opinion. This is not just 1 person. I honestly don’t think people dare to speak up and talk about things they’re not happy with. Namely because they don’t wanna be judged as crazy.

Again,I’m suprised how many dear cubase users have jumped over to Studio One. An intuitive DAW all WITHOUT cluts. I don’t see any annoyances with that,do you? Then why is that the case with cubase? Even it’s the same OS.

@Steinberg; Do what you can to meet customers expectations, you need us,and we need you. Strive for the very best.