Request: save before crash instead of auto-save

Save before crash like Logic X has would be much more useful than auto-save.
In logic X, there’s no auto save but if project crashes it gets saved as backup right before the crash, and no work is lost.

+1 but…

I do like auto save (at least the concept of it). So let’s keep that but please fix it so it works properly.

Save before crash… On the few times Cubase did crash on me there was a notification that the .cpr was saved with a suffix number. But, these were not full scale “blue screen of death” type of crashes. Nor were they crashes caused by let’s say, a power outage. It would be cool if Cubase would save before those types of crashes.

Regards :sunglasses:

Yea they can definitely keep autosave as a backup safety feature.
But save before crash would be much more beneficial.
I have autosave set to 5mins but still during crashes some major changes get lost that I did between those 5mins.

And I still almost constantly click Ctrl+S when on windows, and Cmd+S when on Mac.

But when are too involved in creative process often forget to Save manually

How would it predict an upcoming crash and save before ?
Not that I wouldn’t like to see such a airbag feature, but it might be a lot more complicated and OS dependent to implement.
I would not get my hopes up.

Logic X does it somehow

But Logic is rather special, having support(Apple) for low level OS trickery that no one else are going to have.
Anyhow, anything that could prevent corrupted project files, is always welcome.

But Logic is rather special, having support(Apple) for low level OS trickery that no one else are going to have.

I’m not so sure about that.

Logic indeed has a “save at crash” function that does work like a charm. I suspect they do something similar to what Adobe does with some of its titles. My guess is that like InDesign, (for example) Logic is constantly updating a duplicate of the project in a recovery cache that’s memory protected from the host program. If a crash occurs, it dumps the cache into a recovery routine when the program is restarted. Keep in mind, Adobe’s recovery routines are cross-platform…so I don’t think it’s low level OSX trickery at work here.

A big +1. This autosave feature is not very handy…