Resample Time Stretch FL Cubase Equivalent

I hate to do this but I’ve been watching some FL tutorials. In Cubase what’s the closest method to the RESAMPLE time stretch in FL? They simply increase the resample dial until the clip matches the project. I understand Elastique keylocked time stretch, pitching like a turntable and hit point splicing but what is this resample doing?

Any info thoughts etc. Deeply appreciated.

I just read timestrectch so I would assume you should check out the “timestretch” option under the audio process menu. there are several different algorithms to choose from (time, tape, pitch etc). Is this the same? I certainly can’t be bothered with looking into fruitloops specify feature so this is just an assumption :smiley:

Yeah, i’m aware of Cubase algorithms and Elastique. I’m curious about this “resample” method.

Resample should mean that the file is resampled and therefore not processed in real-time. Not sure if that’s what you’re asking?

Reason to resample would be to provide a fixed audio file, which may be of better quality.

As above you can resample using the audio process/offline processing functions. Don’t forget that you can also hold down the cursor tool to turn it into the timestretch tool too for manual timestretching.

I use the various methods of time stretching in Cubase, some times a combination of a few to achieve the desired result. It’s the, “what might be different” with the FL resample method, I was interested in knowing more about, if any, which is that in Cubase.

Just had a look online, and what they call the resampling timestetch in Fruity, is the ‘Tape’ algorithm/mode in Cubase.

i.e. pitch isn’t preserved - the file just runs at a different sample rate which will increase/decrease pitch depending on which direction it’s stretched. IOW the ‘old school’ method :slight_smile:

The examples I saw it used in… the pitch was preserved, however this was on FX so I might not of noticed. Can you add a link of the video? Thank you

I just read this article here:- Realtime Audio Stretching in FL Studio 12.3 : Ask.Audio
“assign the Resampling timestretch mode and stretch out your audio to match the project tempo. The downside of this method was that if you compressed the audio, it would pitch it up, and if you stretched it out, it would be pitched down.”

Which is the same as the tape algorithms in Cubase.

If you’re applying it to drum loops you won’t notice the pitch shift so much, as it preserves the sound better as no ‘stretching’ has occured as it’s purely a change in playback rate, perhaps what you watched was on such content?

Thank you.

The demos I’ve watched they were using the Time dial to adjust the audio. Increasing it would see the file/part in the project drop to small then slowly grow until the desired length.

Well, there’s basically 3 types of common stretching that can occur:-

1. Playback Rate - Pitch and Time change in relation.
  2. Time Stretching - Pitch remains
  3. Pitch Shifting - Time remains

Beyond that the alogithms determine ‘how’ each process is performed, i.e. how chunks of audio are reformed to stretch audio at the same pitch (2).

I’m not sure what conclusion you’re trying to reach here, is it a sound you’re trying to get to (i.e. in regards to algorithms/techniques)? Or is it a similar workflow method that you seek (i.e. with a dial that you turn)?

For example - If you’re wanting a dial that you turn that’s specific to the design of Fruityloops then probably no you won’t find such a thing - Cubase will offer the same processing to achieve the end result, but it will be achieved via different workflows/menus than what you’ve seen in Fruity… As to ‘what’ that equivalent is, then it really depends on the above 3 types you’re wanting, and then within those what algorithm provides the sound you want

As you’ve specified Resampling as the equivalent in Fruity then the tape based algorithms will be what you’re using in Cubase, and they can be used via musical mode on the audio clip and resized by hand (using the selection tool in it’s time stretch mode Resizing Events with the Object Selection Tool - Sizing Applies Time Stretch ), or you can use the various sample rate/warp/shift tools available. But some of them are a bit confusing and bug ridden (imo).

Maybe a video on the subject like this may help:- (Apologies if you’re above that level of comprehension already)

The trouble with comparing Cubase with Fruity (and Ableton), the workflow differs greatly as the products target to different audiences. Cubase has more raw text entry options for time/pitch manipulation for example, than using more friendly user interfaces for EDM specific DAWs for example.

Thank you.