[Resolved] Cannot Install Nor Uninstall Dorico 3. Dorico Not Functioning At All

I have the latest version of Dorico 3 on Windows 10.

I’m unable to install Dorico 3 and and also to uninstall my previous version which now will not open at all. I have tried to uninstall both through Windows uninstaller and through using the Dorico 3 installer. I am able to uninstall and install other programs, this issue seems to be just with Dorico.

When uninstalling, I have the following error messages:

“String getting file security: C:\Programdata\Microsoft\Windows\start Menu\Programs\Get Last string: 5”

“Dorico 3 removal failed. Fatal error during installation. error code 1603.”

When trying to reinstall the same version, I have the following message.

“The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory. C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\start Menu\Programs\steinberg Dorico 3. The installation cannot continue. Log on as administrator”

I have tried the following:

• Closed my firewall and antivirus.
  • Tried both the windows Control Panel uninstaller and Dorico main installer.
  • Running installer as administrator.
  • Removed and replaced iLok.
  • Using Windows ‘Safe’ mode.
  • Looked up error code 1603 and followed suggestions.
  • Tried uninstalling and installing other programs successfully.

I’d appreciate any help with this.

Thanks.

Have you actually tried logging on as the administrator user on your computer? Does your regular user account have administrator privileges?

From a quick web search, it sounds like this error is a symptom of something getting messed up either in your current account or the installer data in the registry.

This link suggests using the Windows Installer Cleanup Tool: Redirecting

And this user found that if they created a new user account then everything worked ok (which suggests the data was messed up in their original account): error getting file security getlasterror: 5 - All Other Applications

Hello Daniel and Paul.

I have some good news but first I really must thank you both for replying. It is quite remarkable to have two Dorico staff members helping out in this way.

Should anyone searching with a similar problem find this thread, here’s what I did:

• I picked up on the last error message after trying a reinstall ie;
    “The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory. C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\start Menu\Programs\steinberg Dorico 3”.
  • I browsed to that directory then reset permissions to myself as administrator.
  • I then attempted an install of the exact same version as my previous one. This time install was successful.
  • Next, using that version’s installer, I tried a complete uninstall and this was also successful. So now Dorico 3 is removed from my system.
  • Finally, I installed the latest version of Dorico (3.1.10) which was successful.

A quick check and now Dorico 3 is working perfectly and I shall mark this thread ‘Resolved’.

Thank you again for your support.

Best wishes.

I’m very glad to hear that you’re now up and running