RESOLVED: StepDesigner Loses Controller Setup

When opening a project in Cubase 10, tracks that employ the StepDesigner MIDI Insert will see their StepDesigner Controller Setup settings overwritten with values from the prior Cubase 10 session.

To duplicate this bug, follow these steps:

1. Create a new project in Cubase 10, called “StepDesigner Bug Demo A”
  2. Add a MIDI track
  3. Select the MIDI track
  4. In the Inspector, open the MIDI Inserts panel and add StepDesigner to the first effect slot
  5. Open the Insert Effect Editor for the aforementioned StepDesigner effect
  6. Click the Controller Setup button
  7. Choose CC 1 for Controller 1 and CC 2 for Controller 2
  8. Save and close the project
  9. Create a new project in Cubase 10, called “StepDesigner Bug Demo B”
  10. Add a MIDI track
  11. Select the MIDI track
  12. In the Inspector, open the MIDI Inserts panel and add StepDesigner to the first effect slot
  13. Open the Insert Effect Editor for the aforementioned StepDesigner effect
  14. Click the Controller Setup button
  15. Choose CC 64 for Controller 1 and CC 65 for Controller 2
  16. Save and close the project
  17. Open project “StepDesigner Bug Demo A”
  18. Open the Insert Effect Editor for the StepDesigner effect
  19. Notice that CC 1 is now assigned to CC 64 (not CC 1, as it should be) and CC 2 is now assigned to CC 65 (not CC 2, as it should be)

Please note that this also happens when you fully exit Cubase 10 between sessions, run Cubase 9.5 between sessions, etc. In other words, Cubase 10 always imparts the StepDesigner CC # values from the latest prior Cubase 10 session on the project being opened. Also note that other StepDesigner data - note values, velocity values, gate values, and CC data values (1-127) - appear to be unaffected by this bug. Finally, it doesn’t matter if your MIDI tracks have different names or if a project has multiple MIDI tracks with multiple instances of StepDesigner enabled. If you have multiple instances of StepDesigner enabled in a project, all of them will adopt the same CC # values.

I hope this is helpful.

I’m using Cubase version 10.0.20 on Windows 10.

bump, ran into a similar issue.

it may have lost its setup either when I turned the MIDI insert off, or did a project backup to a new folder.

Anyone know if this was fixed in 10.5?

happy to report this has been fixed in 10.5.2

That’s great news! Thank you for reporting back. I’m unable to verify for myself but will mark this post “Resolved.”