Resources for understanding Wavelab

Just started digging into Wavelab 10 Pro and I’ve managed to get more confused as I proceed. Was wondering if anyone can point me to some resources (video or otherwise) to help get an understanding of the mechanics of using Wavelab? The Steinberg videos I found were pretty much focused on the mastering process (EQ, compression, etc.) which is not what I’m looking for. Rather I’m trying to understand how the different parts of Wavelab fit together and interact with each other. The WL manual (like most of Steinberg’s) functions well as a reference manual but doesn’t provide a good overview for the uninitiated.

For example a Montage seems to exist as an element inside a Project, or as its own independent entity. Why use one or the other?

Or another - do I want to Open or Import audio files & what’s the difference?

So something that addresses these kinds of questions and not say the art of setting loudness levels.

For example a Montage seems to exist as an element inside a Project, or as its own independent entity. Why use one or the other?

A project has nothing to see with Cubase, for instance.
A project is mostly a list of audio files and montages.
What is important is the montage, not the project.

The term “Import” is not much used in WaveLab. This is more “Open”, then “Insert to”.

Philippe

Perhaps this video will be of use to you. Customisable Meters, Spectrum Analyser, Improving Mid Side | Welcome to WaveLab with Greg Ondo - YouTube

The two main areas of contact for most users are the Audio Editor and the Audio Montage. The Audio Editor allows you to edit, process and analyse individual audio files. The Audio Montage allows you to edit and process a whole sequence of audio material via clips, which can represent whole or parts of audio files, often with the aim of producing a CD or similar collection. There are also batch processor and podcast areas. All of these can exist within something called a File group. A File group is seen as a tab at the top of the main editing window. You can freely switch between any audio files or audio montages contained within a File group. Above the main editing display there is a strip known as the ribbon which is essentially a toolbox for carrying out various operations upon the currently displayed material. The tools change according to what editing / processing category you choose and what is currently displayed. To the right of the editing display you’ll normally find the master section and the montage inspector where you can insert plugins.

These are the basics but the whole environment can be streamlined to suit your own way of working. Wavelab has a sophisticated docking system which allows you to arrange the different tools, meters, spectrometer etc. on screen as appropriate.

P.S. when using Wavelab it’s probably best to forget Cubase. The terms used in Cubase do not always refer to the same thing in Wavelab.

Thanks. Great succinct overview. I’ve had Wavelab for ages, but only really used it to edit audio which was pretty straightforward. Good point about Cubase - I was thinking yesterday that I was bringing in assumptions based on Cubase that were probably getting in the way of understanding Wavelab.

The best Videos so far are from MacProVideo.com - Wavelab Pro 10 Workflows and Wavelab 9 Complete Beginners Guide! Great monthly subscription price or buy courses individually. Been on it for 4-5 years.

One big difference is the idea of a project. The concept of a project in Wavelab is very different to what is meant by a project in Cubase.

Yup, it certainly led me astray for awhile.

Thanks everyone for the tips - think I’ve got at least a basic handle on the general structure. Currently at the phase where I’m thinking, “I know that window exists, I’ve used it, why can’t I find it now…”