respell accidentals in score vs in part : why not the same result?

Hello,
I write for a saxophone quartet : both score and part are in Transposed pitch
I’m surprised about this:

If you respell accidentals in a full score layout, this also affects their spelling in part layouts. If you respell accidentals in part layouts, this only affects their spelling in that part layout.

i.e Respelling accidentals
To developper: Can you explain me why you took this choice?!
Sometimes for verification I use part view (more relaxing for concentration and eyes) and want to change here a f in a E# with Alt+) but as written in the manual, if I look at the score the change is not done : The note stay F…
So I don’t understand tthis choice of programmer!?
Best regards
Dup

Here’s Daniel’s explanation: enharmonic edits - #12 by dspreadbury - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

If the implied question was: “why would anyone find this behaviour desirable?”
(My) answer is: “because (particularly with concert pitch scores) it’s quite usual for the score to be in a sharp key and the part to be a flat key. In these situations it may make sense to show accidentals with sharps in the score and flats in the part”.

For example, if the general concert key is Gb major but you have an Eb clarinet, it makes much more sense for the clarinet to be in the key of A rather than the key of B double flat. In this situation, let’s say you have a concert Eb; in the part an F sharp will often make more sense than a G flat.

Hello,
Thanks for your answer but not 100% convinced let’s take an example with picture :all is in "input written and transposed pitch.
I become to this enharmonic problem or interrogation in writing an arrangement of Vocalise from Rachmaninof with a lot notes to change
see the attahment
Best regards

As explain in manual, if I change it here (in part/write mode) with respell Alt + ):
F become E# in part but stay F in score…so not correct for the conductor!

Solution 1 is to change this note in the score part : not very convenient to allways switch from score
to part and sometimes to scroll for reach the note to change

Solution 2 is to change this note in part view with Alt and down arrow and after to correct it with a
#. (my choice for this moment)

Solution 3: write the note with computer keyboard as E# . Disadvantage: switch often from midi
keyboard to computer keyboard

Solution 4: input the note via midi keyboard with E piano key and put the # after. (a pity that if the

is selected in the left pannel and press the E piano key it doesn’t become a E#)

Solution 5: Allways write music in the score and change here. Disadvantage: If a lot of player, it’s
very tired for concentration and eyes.

Solution 6: the best one: the next solution from Daniel ! :wink:

We don’t anticipate making any changes in this area in the near future. It’s true that the current behaviour is impossible to know about in advance but it provides the necessary flexibility.

Unrelated: one of my favorite Dorico moments was entering a note with MIDI which Dorico rendered as a flat, thinking “I’ll have to change that in a moment” and finished typing in the line… and as I did so, Dorico automatically re-spelled it as a sharp because it made more sense in context. I don’t know if other programs can do that but I’ve never seen that before and I just started laughing at how cool it was!

No other notation software can do this. Just one of many unique and sophisticated behaviours that Dorico has.

It’s sort of a running joke among my friends how much I talk about Dorico. But I I tell them, if a software came along that completely transformed how you worked (and basically doubled your productivity), don’t you think you’d rattle on about it too? :nerd:

1 Like

It’s sort of a running joke among my friends how much I talk about Dorico.

Mine too. They say I tell them that Dorico can do my laundry!