Restrospective freezing

Hi all,
I was wondering if it was possible to freeze a track resulting from a MIDI playback. Let me explain a use case:
I use Pigments (by Arturia) a lot because it is IMO a very powerful and versatile synth. You can for instance use pseudo-random functions to modulate almost any parameter, and that can sometimes yield to amazing results.
The problem is that a sound using random modulations does not sound twice the same, even if you use the same MIDI sequence. So if you heard an audio result that you really liked, it is too late and you’ll never hear it again…
The idea would be that when you listen to the audio resulting from the MIDI sequence in real time, you be able to freeze the last result that you’ve just heard, in the same “spirit” as when doing retrospective recording.
I don’t think it is feasible in the existing version of Cubase Pro (11.0.41). Please correct me if I’m wrong.
I think it would be feasible that Cubase systematically record the VST audio track (or the stereo out track !) and when we decide it’s worth it, we actually save this recording in one way or another (freeze, or add audio track or whatever). Any hint someone?

Hi,

Cubase can’t do this.

There is the Pre-record time (1 sec is by default) for the Audio tracks. There is the Retrospective Record for MIDI. But not the thing, you are asking for.

Thanks for the quick reply Martin. I guess I’ll have to make it a feature request…
:slight_smile:

1 Like

It sounds like a feature request for the plugin to me so you can file pattern if you like it.

Try to feed a channel with the output of the main… like for recording the main out back into a track.

Be careful… looping (feedback) is possible.

1 Like

Thanks st10ss, but after thought I don’t want to record the main out (Stereo Out). Just the VST track.
But I think I found a solution. I created a group and redirected the output of the VST audio track to that group (using Direct Routing), and then created an audio track whose input is that group (with Output = nothing to avoid feedback). A bit cumbersome but that seems to work…