Rests being weird in condensed staves

I have rests in condensed staves that take up their default middle of the staff position but cannot be moved, causing clashes with stems. This was manual condensing with trombone 1 in up-stem voice and trombone 2 in down-stem voice.

Would be glad to know if this is a bug or something that I have done wrong.

For this specific passage, could you condense Tbns 1 & 2 to use the same stems, since the rhythm is the same?

That is not to say that in the future Dorico should not position the rests correctly to avoid collisions.

As there are unison notes mid phrase, it’d result in multiple a2s (rightfully so) appearing, which is not what I wish to have, or hide, since that creates ambiguity.

This may be another unwieldy suggestion, but for a given system one can combine Tbns. 2 & 3 instead of 1 & 2 or not condense them at all.

(Again, we know the real solution is for condensing to handle the rests properly.)

Unfortunately rests in condensed staves are at present not editable, but that is something we definitely have plans to address in future.

1 Like

I will use this as a workaround for this passage, thanks for the suggestion! Hopefully this bug is fixed soon!

FWIW, if it’s absolutely necessary, this is easily solvable by bringing the score into Affinity Publisher or InDesign. Every once-in-a-while I will export scores with mistakes like this specifically with the knowledge that I can fix it to my liking in AP. (I say all of this just in case you’ve never tried taking a score out of Dorico to edit it.)

Can we hope that the editable rests in condensed staves are on the way?
For me personally, this is the biggest obstacle in the complete transition to Dorico.

It’s certainly planned, though it’s not coming imminently.

Does Dorico 5 solve the problem with non-editable rests in condensed staves?

No, it doesn’t. I think this is the only rest update, quoted from the version history:

“Dorico has always provided the option to align rests within a beat group at the same vertical position, but not rests in different beat groups. This can lead to successive rests within a bar being assigned different vertical positions, and you might prefer them to be assigned the same position.

A new Align rests in the same voice vertically option has been added to the Rest Positioning section of the Rests page of Notation Options. Set this to When in the same bar to ensure that all rests in a voice are assigned the same vertical position.”

Does Dorico 5.1 solve the problem with non-editable rests in condensed staves?

It does not.

Thank you Daniel.
I’m sad because this has been the only obstacle for me for years, why I can’t fully use Dorico for my orchestral projects.
But the speed of your answer (1 sec or less?!) is for the Guinness Book of Records :slight_smile:

I know it’s disappointing that we cannot address every existing request or issue in a single update, but please rest assured that we know this is a deficiency that needs to be corrected.

2 Likes

Yes, of course I understand.
I’m grateful for all the improvements and great new features in 5.1.