Rests changing colors (some gray, others black) & missing rests in parts

I’'m working on a symphonic project.
I’m scoring Cello parts. All of a sudden I’m noticing missing rests in some player parts and visible rests are black or gray.
What have I done?

Select the last note before the empty space and see if it has the “Ends voice” property.

Grey rests are implicit ones that are drawn automatically. With that view option, explicit rests still show in black, that have either their duration or position forced, or both.

(Why are the notes so small? Also I don’t understand the rhythmic notation.)

Mark,
Thank you; it was the “Ends voice” property.

About your questions: I’m re-scoring an old piece from years ago, and I chose to use small note size to represent ad lib playing. The irregular notation is to “emulate” as much as possible a possible ad lib performance.
Here’s a section that I finished with the final look:

Make sense? If you have any ideas that might work better, feel free to reply.
Thank you for your support.

I’m curious about this example of rests in my score:
I’m running into where at times, instead of getting an eighth note rest, I get two 16th note rests. Is there a way to change this so it shows an 8th note rest?
Here’s an example:

Select the first 16th rest and type o5 to force duration. Letter O is the shortcut for the button on the left that looks like a clamp. Notes in a tuplet (and beats in a bar) have default groupings; “force duration” is the way to override them when needed.

The ad-lib notation is very interesting. I’ll have to think about this more …

If the notes are too tiny, one might get a truly ad lib performance, at least on first read-through. :wink: