Return to old VST naming system for mixer

I like to keep my mixer as narrow as possible so I can view the most tracks, and in Cubase 8 this wasn’t a problem as I could still read plugin names pretty well. For example, in the picture below you can see that I have a UAD Ep-34 delay on FX 16, VSL Hybrid reverb on FX 17, QL Spaces on FX 19, though bypassed, is very legible, and I can see I have a VSL Limiter on my master channel.

However in Cubase 8.5 the naming has changed for whatever reason, and now I cannot quickly see what plugins I’m using due to the truncation replacing actual letters with “…”! WHY?! Just look at the difference between these two screen captures!

I can no longer tell what UAD plugin is on FX 16, what VSL plugin is on 17, and QL Spaces now looks like QL S…es. What the heck is that?! And how is “VSL L…er” better than “VSL Limie” I was only missing 1 letter in “VSL Limiter” in Cubase 8, now thanks to the new 8.5 naming I’m missing 4! How’s that for progress?

Is there a way to revert back to the old naming system? If not, this will keep me from upgrading to Cubase 8.5 (running the demo now) as its import to me to see at a glance what plugins are in my inserts. I really dont understand why Steinberg thought this change was necessary, or who approved it, as its doesn’t solve any problems from the old naming scheme, and actually makes it much harder to read!!

p.s. Is it possible to get the inserts in the arrange page to look like Cubase 8 as well? (no weird power buttons and preset triangles above the insert name?) What was wrong with the old system?

Maybe a solution is to give users the option to choose between these different GUI & naming systems?

Yes!

+1 to having options. I would still like the plug-in manager to allow you to rename the VSTs so you could decide how you want to see the name for each.

This is weird. I had that display problem in Cubase 8, but i am testing C8.5 right now and for me it seems that they have fixed it.
But it made me wonder what the heck the GUI “designers” at Cubase are thinking and whether they have any quality control at all.

But i disagree with you on the insert icons, I as a longtime SE1-C6.5 user welcome them back, that idiotic mouse over/hover handling of the inserts was the main reason that despite intensive testing i never upgraded to C7 and later.

EDIT: no, you’re right, issue is still there in C8.5. Lovely: “Valhalla…x64” followed by “Valhalla…x64”. Who thinks that this would be a good solution??

Not only is the problem in C8.5, but its now in C8.0.4!!! GRRRR!!! PLEASE LET US CHOOSE HOW THINGS ARE DISPLAYED IN CUBASE 8!!!

+1 for a preferences setting.