Return to start position on stop

Hallo,
where can I find this option in W9?
I’d like the cursor to go back to the position I set it to before hitting play.

In that way I can fine tune an edit point while zooming in, now as default the cursor stays at the stop point.
Also, how can I set a shortcut to toggle this on or off ? I can’t seem to find the option in the shortcuts list.

Thanks!
M

1 Like

Right click on the stop button in the transport and you’ll see some options.

It looks like you an assign shortcuts to toggle the options on and off.

See attachment.

2 Likes

ah, I see :slight_smile:
Thanks for the tip!
M

Why isn’t this the default? Something everybody’s used to in other programs and it’s not the default.

1 Like

Something everybody’s used to in other programs and it’s not the default

Not. For example, Cubase and Audition are like WaveLab.
WaveLab gives you the choice.

Moreover, I recall that the numpad key 0 let’s you jump to the start position, which is handy.

It’s all personal preference but FWIW, for any app that doesn’t have return to start on by default, it’s one of the first settings I change so that return to start is ON.

I find the only app I really ever toggle between the two options is RX6.

That’s what I mean. It should be On by default, and you should have to turn it Off if you don’t want it. You shouldn’t have to burrow through the manual to find out if you can even do it, as the many requests here for “how do I get it to do this” attest to. And right-clicking on the Stop button (which is the only way to enable it now afaik) is also obviously not intuitive.

1 Like

I agree. I remember it being difficult to find the setting when I first set up WaveLab. I believe I was looking on the play button if anything and not the stop button. Looking back I kind of see the logic but all in all, the setting is pretty buried compared to RX6 and Pro Tools.

That is your preference, and the preference of many others. But what makes you think that there are not people like me who prefer it the other way about (after all, why is the possibility there!), who would complain or be flustered if it was reversed? And they also have to look in the manual to find out how to change it (unless they are the kind of people who poke around with the right-click until they find something useful).

Paul

1 Like

You’re right. But I think this option on by default is more common. It was also easier to find the option in Wavelab 8 because there was a dedicated button that displayed by selection or hover I think, rather than having to right click every button.

Speaking as a former UX guy… I think the problem (if there is one) is that the guy had to -ask- “where is this?” To -me- the switch for this should be self-evident. The thing I HATED about WL7 was -never- being able to find things.

Just another example of Steinbergs elitism in Crapiness
I have Wavelab LE and there are no options on the Stop button for anything and yes this should be a default action, no question
Pure Pants

I make the observation that, irrespective of settings, in my system anyway 0 on the numerical pad stops and returns to starting point with a second push. (edited)

Rat, are you sure that’s with NUMLOCk on? In all my years with WL, the numpad 0 has always been Stop and return to starting point with a second push. It’s my natural way of operating, with numpad Enter to start playback.

1 Like

You are most certainly correct … I have been doing it “automatically’” for so long without thinking. I’ll edit my earlier post.

Because anyone trying to switch to WaveLab from ANY other DAW will spend 20 minutes trying to figure out the preference to fix this. Pro Tools, Sequoia, SoundBlade, Pyramix… only Cubase and WL are this way.

I agree that the default setting is not optimal.

1 Like

Exactly. Has been my way of working with Wavelab for years and it has been a standard Steinberg software setting for a very long time. In my opinion, the current default is fine. I’m sure there are a large number of Wavelab users who use the number keypad as a remote transport. The default setting suits this way of working. A lot of Cubase and Nuendo users work this way. I’d hasard a guess that most users who do not like the default setting are not regular Cubendo users.

IMO suggesting this is ‘obviously’ not intuitive doesn’t really take into account the design concept. There is no transport menu so all the transport settings are found on the Transport itself. Some would say that this is actually more intuitive than having a menu. Also the Wavelab transport is more sophisticated than most and so takes some getting used to regardless.

The only thing I’d question is the use of the term ‘Move Cursor Back to Start Position’. It might be better to use ‘Return to Start Position on Stop’ which is the term used in Cubase and Nuendo. It’s a subtle difference but helps clarify the function - most people tend to be more familiar with this term.

Good idea. English improvements to clarify things are always welcome.

1 Like

Were it not for people like you providing videos and content, I question how many people would switch from another DAW. There are simply too many peculiarities compared to almost every production DAW. I’m not saying it’s bad or the software isn’t powerful, but the adoption time barrier is difficult to justify for booked professionals.