Reusing playing/playback techniques in different endpoint configurations

Hi,

In his clear guide on editing expression maps, Paul suggests to edit the endpoint configurations by section. Add the string section, edit the endpoint configuration, save. Repeat with the other sections. Add the separate endpoint configurations to the playback template.

I understand this method has the advantage of modularity. Do you want all VSL most classic strings? Select a playback template including the endpoint configuration for Orchestral Strings. Do you want to replace them with OT Berlin Strings? Select a playback template including the corresponding endpoint configuration.

What I wonder is what about the playing/playback techniques. Some of them may change for the different libraries. But some wouldn’t, and one would want to use them in every library.

Is there a way to reuse the playing/playback techniques in different endpoint configurations? Say I have created a “spiccato sempre” playing/playback technique for the VSL Orchestral Strings, and would like to reuse it for OT Berlin Strings. Would I have to create it again, or would I be able to reuse the one from the VSL library?

Paolo

PTs do not belong to the endpoint config - they exist independently and can be used in a variety of contexts.

What I understand from the user manual is that playing and playback techniques are saved with an endpoint configuration.

If there is a way to use them independently from an endpoint configuration, I would be happy to know. I would like to avoid using the preferred techniques, and still have them linked to selected sound libraries.

Paolo

As usual, the truth is always slightly more complex. Playing and Playback Techniques exist within the project (technically, the Score Library). However, when you save and endpoint configuration, if the expression maps use custom Playback Techniques, and there are Playing Techniques that reference them (eg an explosion symbol that invokes the ‘Boom’ playback technique), then both are also saved inside the endpoint configuration.

So now, if you create a playback template that uses that endpoint configuration, and you apply it to a different project, then that will cause those custom playback/playing techniques to be imported into the project.

We hope to give more control over items in the library in the future, but for the moment, Endpoint Configurations do allow you to use them in multiple projects.

I got stuck on the sentence above in saying yes you can reuse the technique.

I do reuse the same custom technique that I created in two different endpoint configurations: The same custom technique is used in two different expression maps used by two different endpoint configs. Not sure it matters, but those endpoint configs are both used in a Playback Template called EastWest Orchestra.

As I recall, (maybe?) I did an export/import of the library from the strings test project into the woodwinds test project as I was the strings expression map as a starting place.

I never doubt your expertise though Paul - and what is weird (to me) is that the techniques aren’t in PT list for a score that uses the template, but are clearly there in the expression maps.

Paul, thank you very much for your detailed answer. I’m still a bit confused on how to work with this. Maybe I can save an endpoint configuration (EPC A) for library A, and add it to a playback template. Then load a library B, create the associated techniques, save a new endpoint configuration (EPC B), an add it to the playback template.

I guess the techniques I created for library A are still available for library B, as long as I keep both EPC A and EPC B in the same playback template. I must experiment more with it.

Please keep in mind I use a lot of playing/playback techniques. Take for example a library like the new VSL Big Bang Orchestra. Each of its patches is selected with a custom playing technique. There are a lot of them. Many of them are shared between different libraries in the series. So, the goal is to have them ready for reuse in any new library of the series.

The same happens for any non-conventional library, based on custom/combined techniques.

Paolo