Reverb SEND can be heard though the vol fader is set to zero

I have created a mono track for vocals.
I have made an FX channel with a standard reverb (RoomWorks SE)
This reverb I want to use on several tracks and now I put it on my mono vocal track as a SEND (not insert).
I create a Group channel where all the vocal tracks will be later. Then I route the mono vocal track to the group channel.

Now when I pull down the volume on the group channel fader to zero I still hear the reverb coming through.

I use pre-fader as standard on the reverb, but I have also tried the post-fader settings but with the same result, I can still hear the reverb getting thru.

Why is that and how do I get around it?

Am I trying to do the impossible here or…? :slight_smile:

/Pete

The track that feeds the reverb still feeds it when the group is turned down.

So my only choice is to put the reverb as an INSERT on the vocal channel or in the Group channel as a SEND (or INSERT)?

I believe sends can be pre or post fader…
Just checked. Hover over the send box. The top button is pre/post fader toggle.
Seems that making the send post fader should make it work (unless I misunderstand)

Seems that making the send post fader should make it work (unless I misunderstand)

He is sending from a vocal channel but is fading at the group …So the pre or post fade is irrelevant in this case.

Different ways:

1. automate the vocal channel instead of the group (with FX postfader)
  2. automate the reverb send in the vocal channel (if you have good reasons to not automate the actual level)
  3. use a VCA that links the group and the FX channel
  4. automate the FX channel

Depending on what you’re trying to achieve (and what other signals may feed the reverb etc.) there are a million way to do whatever you want to do.

Thanx, I will try to do some of this.
VCA faders is great and I have used that to handle all the vocal and group tracks. I have even used the automation for different things and its working fine.
But the bottom line seems to be what you first pointed out, “The track thats feed the reverb, still feeds it when the group is turned down”, and this scenario doesn’t work.
Thanks again.
Pete

I am not at my computer at the moment but I regularly do this. I send all my vocals to 2 fx channels ( reverb and delay) and I use the send sliders on each vox track ( either via the Channel Settings edit window or the mix console Channel Racks ) to change the ammount of send / effect on each track.

Edit: I’m in front of my computer now and that is how I use sends to FX. I had to check because I do it automatically and I wanted to make sure I was giving your the right information. One thing I forgot to say is that with all the effects, make sure that the wet / dry mix is at 100%!
Using this method I never have to use any faders on the FX bus.

I hope this helps.

Jim B

Thanks Jim and by the way your song “Some Day Ssoon cover” is very good.
I will upload som PrintScreens in my next post, to show you my first setup that did not work. maybe that will get you an better overwiev of my problems
//Pete

Hi guys
This is how I’ve done. Maybe the following pics will get an better overwiev of what I have been doing.

I wonder, what is the technical problem when an effect is heard even though I pull down the volume of the group channel but not when I pull down the volume of vocal channel itself.

And since I have sent all my vocal channels in this way (because I thought it went well), I must now go in and change everything, lucky me :slight_smile:

And it would be highly desirable if Steinberg had a tutorial about this, so is there anyone who can give me a link to it, I would be very grateful.
//Pete

I wonder, what is the technical problem when an effect is heard even though I pull down the volume of the group channel but not when I pull down the volume of vocal channel itself.

It’s a limitation of routing this way.

Your channel that you are sending from comes before the group so any changes to group fader can not effect the vocal channel send.

And it would be highly desirable if Steinberg had a tutorial about this

About what exactly…you have not said what you are trying to achieve?

Thanks Grim
Personally I want to have an better understanding about the best way to build projects (visually), for example, with a bunch of vocal tracks (or/and drums and keys etc) e.g. going to groups, and the right way to do this in the most pragmatic way, saving processing powe etc to get the best result. Easy as pie :slight_smile:

Hi Pete,
I don’t know how long you have been using Cubase, but I think we may be very alike in one way, and that is the way we problem solve!
When I started with Cubase LE4 about 6 years ago, DAW recording was a total unknown to me, so all the Steinberg, Club Cubase or Youtube tutorials all helped, and I’ve looked at a lot over the years!
If all the tutorials, and this forum, have taught me anything it is that we all have our own ways of doing things and that is fine…provided we stick to the basics!
As I said in my earlier post, I control all the sends I create from either the Channel editor or Mix console, and that works perfectly for me and I would probably find it hard to change ( You know "Old dog new tricks etc.)
I am sure that you will find your preferred route, you’ve just got to experiment, and in my case that was the fun part!
Thanks also for the comment on Some Day Soon :sunglasses:
Good luck :smiley:
Jim B

Thanks Jim
I’m sure you’re right about problem solving :slight_smile:
I think I started with Cubase 4 or 5 when it arrived (long before that I used Creator on ATARI 1040 :slight_smile: ) and it has been a struggle, most because I was a novice and havent been working with this technical stuff at all (DAWs and plug-ins).
I have still fun anywa and some day I´ll see the light in the tunnel :slight_smile: and find my preferred route ;-D
//Pete
Btw your first song, Some Day Soon, I get vibe of Beatles or John Lennon own material. Are you from UK?

Hi Pete,

Yes I am in the UK what part of our planet are you on?

Some day soon is actually a CS & N song and this was a cover I just fancied doing.

It sounds like you have been using technology for about the same time as me but as you rightly say, its about having fun as well!

You will get there just keep going!

Jim B

I´m from Stockholm, the capital of Sweden.
So I was a little bit right about the song, Graham is från UK :wink:
Thanks again for your help and keep up making good songs.
Pete