Reverse latency or negative latency or anti-latency midi problem

Hello
I am writing to you because I have searched for hours on the Internet, but I have not yet found an answer to my problem.
So I’m writing here.
Basically, it’s been a while without knowing why, that when I play a midi game with my master keyboard (Arturia 61) or just the AZERTY keyboard of my MacBookPro (2014), when I listen again, everything is “in front”.
That is, if I try to play on the beats on purpose (with the Cubase midi click) trying to be as accurate as possible, I end up with the midi impacts a triple or quadruple eighth note before the beat.
I call this reverse latency or negative latency or anti-latency. (since the concept of latency would have been to have my midi information delayed (shifted to the right) and not anticipated (shifted to the left).
I don’t understand why…
To realize in a “scientific” way that it was not me who had the impression to play in place or “groove” whereas in fact with the re-listening I have the impression to play like a foot, I made a test.
I used the microphone of my MacBookPro to record the audio of the sound I play and that comes out of my HP. The verdict is clear, the midi impacts are constantly before the WaveForm (while the click you can see on the WaveForm is in its place).
Following these problems, I reinstalled Cubase 10.
I then reformatted my MacBookPro and installed HighSierra (I was under Sierra before).
Even a fully formatted Mac with only Chrome and Cubase installed on it still has the problem.
What is the cause? Have any of you ever had this problem?
I thank you in advance because the irrationality of this problem makes me lose my mind.
Have a nice day.

Sounds like you need to apply a negative offset. I’m not in front of my computer but it will probably be under studio settings (it used to e but I haven’t required it for years)

Latency is probably the wrong word as this is usually used for the time you hit a key to the time it comes out of your speakers and not where’re order notes appear.

Thank you for your answer.
So I tried in the studio configuration menu to change something to compensate this latency.
As for using the word “latency” or not, I may have misspoken. Basically, when I press a note I hear it without significant latency, it’s instantaneous. It’s when I listen again to what I’ve played that I realize that everything was “replayed” too soon. The notes played on the beat are shifted forward…
If “latency” is not the right word, I would be curious to know the right one because to do research it is not obvious.

Latency is t a bad word to use it’s just that everyone has got used to using it in terms of audio interfaces and buffer settings. I understood when reading your post what you meant :slight_smile:

For me, more or less similar has been there for a while, and with different OS, software and hardware, I always noticed some inaccuracy between what you hear while you’re recording and what you hear and see when playing it back. Initially, I thought that it was my fault, but after completing my master’s degree with honor as a classical pianist I started to suspect, that the problem is not in my hands :grin:
I tried to dig into it for many years, but the answers were almost always something like - check your drivers/settings/latency/antivirus/firewall/hands/ears/karma, etc.
My suggestion is that probably there is something in the MIDI protocol, that causes this issue, this guy is 41 years old already :slightly_smiling_face: I can’t understand why, because it has enough information to avoid this problem, but this is the only common thing between all different equipment I used.
Ideally, this topic needs to be deeply discovered by programmers and technicians, to get the right answer. But until most people don’t experience this problem or just don’t bother, and while we have a quantize function, I’m not sure, that something like this gonna happen.

I would call it an “offset”. A negative offset to be more precise.

1 Like