Rewire and Artist 12

I’ve been a long-time Cubase user, from the Atari days to the present. Lots of different versions of Cubase and machines over the years. I recently got a new computer and decided to leave Cubase 7 on the old machine, and use it as a VST machine to run some older instruments and plugins. For the new machine, I purchased Artist 11 installed it and it automatically upgraded me to Artist 12. My problem is Artist 12 no longer supports rewire.
I use the rewire function with other programs as part of my workflow. I’ve asked Steinberg to give me a license for 11, but they say they are no longer supporting it at this time and can’t grant me the license I paid for. Their response was "maybe sometime in the future."I’d be just fine with using version 11. Still plenty of power. Seems a little strange.

In the past, support has always been good. I love Cubase, but this has left me a little cold. Has anyone else run into this issue???

Noise in My Head

I hear your pain because I sometimes still use ACID Pro via ReWire (yes, this works, the MAGIX version, in x64 Windows 10!). The unfortunate reality is, technology moves on faster than creatives do, and it’s hard to maintain established workflows when the tools you use are deemed “obsolete” by the faster-moving technology train.

I still have an Atari ST, I still have ACID 2.0 and so on, but I think there inevitably comes a point where it’s more effort to maintain backwards compatibility than it is to invent new workflows. In my case, I found I can reproduce most of what I did in ACID with Cubase now, and what I can’t reproduce, I can render out of ACID and continue in Cubase. What I can’t do though, is at some later stage in the Cubase production, revert to the ACID-style workflow to revise things. Oh well.

Can you give us some example of how you’re using ReWire now? I’m sure there are Cubase users on here who can offer some suggestions.

As an aside, now that you have a C11 license on the USB-eLicenser, I’ve found that the most versatile option for working with old 32-bit VSTs is to install the 32-bit version of Cubase 8.5 alongside C11/12, and (following the suggestion of another user here) you can even copy the old old Cubase SX3 VSTi’s such as Embracer into the C8.5 VSTplugins folder and they work wonderfully, even under Windows 10 x64.

… to the best of my understanding, Rewire has been discontinued by the company who owns it (Reason Studios - formerly called Propellerheads) as of the end of 2020.

To my knowledge, there’s nothing exactly like Rewire out there now. A bit of a loss from the music making eco-system indeed.

However, might it be possible to cobble together something similar via BlueCat’s Connector plugin?

And I don’t know, if you can tempo and transport sync your versions of Cubase and Acid in some way. So that’s a bit of Rewire functionality that may or may not be easy to replace in your setup.

p.s. Generally, it’s not always realistic to upgrade some parts of one’s integrated system while also sticking with some older components. Often those are the occasions where one has to suffer through some trade-offs.

Having started on the Atari ST as well, I’ve gone through many generations of such technology changes and suffered the associated losses - so while I feel your pain, I also have gotten used to and emotionally hardened against those pain points by now.

Thanks, Mr Soudman, you are so right, the technology always seemed to move faster than creatively needs it to. Michelangelo created the statue of David with a chisel, he didn’t need a laser printer.

The two programs I had always used in my workflow using rewire were Acid and Giga Studio. I had just updated Acid to the latest version, thinking it would be no problem working with Artist 12. Got that wrong, but Artist 11 still supports rewire, so I’m trying to make that happen. As far as Giga Studio, I’m in the process of trying to use a 2nd computer via the VST system link. My main machine is running Windows 10, I have an RME HSDP 9652 card and on the 2nd machine running Windows XP with an RME DIGI 96/8 Pro card. using V-Stack. (haven’t had time to get it up and running, more to follow on this) Plus I’ll should still be able to use Virtual Gtr 2 and some other synths and plugins I’ve collected over the years

I’ve loved the ease and simplicity of building track in ACID and having invested in a large Giga library I’d love to keep using it. I guess it’s ever too late for an Old Dog to learn some new tricks

Gurnee J