Rhythm Dot Placement on Overlapped Dotted Notes

This is admittedly a ridiculously subtle use case, but the top of page 58 of Behind Bars recommends the following—

Dorico currently always places the dot in the lower space. Rhythm dots currently cannot be adjusted on a Y axis.

On the off chance someone is looking for a workaround for this, you can remove the dot from your desired note, add a dotted note in the same voice column one step above, then make it transparent. Personally, it’s too subtle a point to be worth the trouble, so this is just a heads-up.

3 Likes

Thank you for this valuable tip, @JoshuaLuty ! I used a variation of it in this example:

Screen Shot 2023-06-04 at 11.33.33

This left hand dotted chord in the downstem voice would have been very unclear with Dorico’s placement of the dots.* I fixed it by adding a hidden upstem voice 2. The chord is in 2 voices: downstem voice 1 and upstem voice 2. Downstem voice 1 has hidden noteheads and ‘ends voice’ checked, upstem voice 2 has hidden stem, and ‘starts voice’ and ‘ends voice’ checked, and they are both manually set in voice column index 1.

I think that this should be fixed in Dorico as in Gould’s example above.

*And in a solution with the voice column indices swapped, the b (flat) would have been right under the c in the right hand, which would also be unclear.

Btw. in the process I also encountered a bug in Dorico 5. When adding a unison in the cord, the lowest rhythm dot is placed in the wrong space:
Screen Shot 2023-06-04 at 11.21.43

2 Likes

It would be nice to be able to select the dot in engrave mode and press “f” … :wink:

B.

6 Likes

I requested control over dots a looong time ago, but I have to say: this would be a delightfully elegant way to go about it.

A hearty +1 from me!

1 Like

Hihi, thx, I got inspired by the double tap guy… :wink:

3 Likes