Rhythmic cues and stem direction

I’m currently putting some lead sheets together and have rhythmic cues I want to include for chord changes and what not, however, when I add them, it seems to force all stems up on the part:-

This seems to be because prior to being set to a rhythmic cue, the cue would be stems down. Is there a way to change this?

This is a tricky one. It’s not specific to rhythmic cues. When you have a cue and regular notes shown together in the same staff, Dorico handles this as if you have multiple voices present (because you do, of course), and so the “real” voices on the staff thus behave as if multiple voices are present. When multiple voices are present, a nominally up-stem voice will draw with stems up.

I agree that this is certainly not useful in this context, but it’s not something that Dorico is presently clever enough to take care of. It’s something we should improve in a future version.

For the time being, I’m afraid your recourse is to flip the stems of the notes in the main voice as needed.

1 Like

Still no change on this, I’m assuming, yes? Wondering if anyone has found any kind of efficient workaround. I select the notes and flip the stems, but this is very tedious if there are opposing stem directions in a passage in the “main” voice, and if there are articulations (which end up on the wrong side of the note).

Afraid I’m just flipping those stems in the main voice, and sorting out any articulations that need to move etc manually.

Agree it’s tedious, BUT, this is second on my list of desires from Dorico with multiple/alternative chord symbols being the first one…

1 Like