Rickenbacker like The Byrds

I just downloaded ans installed the “Vocal King Pro” plugin … you were right. Absolutely!!
The toaster pickups are on the list.

Karel

You can always get a reactive or resistive load box to get good sound and keep the volume down:
UA OX
Boss WAZA Tube Amp Expander
Two Notes Torpedo Captor X
There are others. Plus they all have good amp models to use to record directly.

1 Like

Looks like his usual MO was to record direct:

4 Likes

Thanks. Good interview with lots of gear tidbits!

1 Like

Hello, I stumbled upon this Byrds discussion on this forum while googling the McGuinn sound and thought i would sign up just to chime in. Even though this thread is a few years old now!

I too use Amplitube 5 (and as of yesterday, Tonex) and have a 1986 Rickenbacker 360/12. I feel like I pretty much just nailed the McGuinn sound to be perfectly honest! I’m using a Tonex 1966 Vox AC30 model i found on Tonenet called “TJ 66 AC30 JMP Clean”. It was one of the most downloaded AC30 models on Tonenet.

I put the orange Compressor pedal in front of the AC30, with compression set to about 70%. I’m using the “2×12 Open Vintage” cab which most closely matches the AC30. I then use 2 “White 2A” compressors (modeled after the LA2A which was used on McGuinn’s Rick in the studio) after the cab. Hell of a lot of compression lol but I have to say…to me this literally sounds like i’m playing on a Byrds record from 1966!!

I’m curious where OP’s jangle journey has taken them in the last few years.

Hi,

Nice to get another reaction after so long! Thanks!
Good to read you’re happy with the Byrds sound you get!
This is my story so far.
I played around with Amplitube and a neutral clean guitar sound. Then adjusted my Rickenbacker 330/12. Accent on middle and high and an insert in Cubase with lots of compression! It kind of sounds like the Byrds, but not the real thing of course.
However, the music I record in Cubase is not Byrds music and I discovered that I mostly prefer a warmer, fuller sound.

Good luck and lots of fun with your Ric!

A few tips from my late entry…

I’ve owned & recorded with my 360/12 ever since the 60s. Keys to McGuinn’s sound through any amp or via interface to Tonex, Amplitube, etc are…

Be sure you’re playing with three metal (metal) fingerpicks and plastic thumbpick. The metal uppick egfect against metal strings is a big factor in that sound.

Also…slightly detune unison strings from each other…

also…use a capo where necessary…ie:…if you’re playing a riff and find that you’re using s lot of the unison strings…capo up so that you can switch into using octave notes instead…they cut through better.

Byrds Ric overdubs… by the way…were often double tracked with and without capo.

Also…Janglebox compressor from guitar…and that into the quarter-inch interface or direct box before the amp sim.

Janglebox is pre-voiced to give Byrds compression…which saves a lot of time trying to dial a similar effect from varios 3rd party compressors. I bought mine 6-7 years ago and it instantly completes “that” sound.

I ownd a 330 for several years. It was nice, but not quite the same feel as a 360.

Thanks for your tips.
The most important one to me, next to lots of compression, is the use of finger picks. When you watch Roger McGuinn playing you see him using this banjo technique. I did my best, but each time I felt like an idiot … picks getting stuck etc. Probably I’m too old to learn new tricks. How did you manage? All I can do now is fiddle about with my pick trying to achieve the banjo effect … No succes.
Thanks for the double tracking tip with or without capo. I’ll give that a try!

I use a janglebox and as a previous post says use open strings where ever possible.
If you’re using Cubase you shouldn’t need Amplitube just work with the input single.

All the reactions are about gear . But a lot of the sound is in the touch and in the fingers…