RIP George Duke

Shocked to hear such a great keyboard player has died at 67. He pretty much did it all from ground breaking funk to big band jazz to playing with Frank Zappa. He even has a NI keyboard virtual instrument.

:frowning:

:frowning:

man … it’s been another tough year for the folks who transitioned modern music through the 50s/60s

R.I.P. George.
{‘-’}

Wow, awesome keyboardist, you’ll be sadly missed… RIP

Saw that yesterday. A very wise man after such a long, wide, broad career. 67 years wasn’t enough for George Duke, if you ask me, but humans are kind of frail constructions :cry:

Agree with this.

R.I.P. George

Sad news…

RIP George

I just finished a track of ‘Sweet Baby’ and I’ll be doing it this weekend.

R.I.P. George Duke.
{‘-’}

Just read this today in the newspaper … what a shame. A unique touch that was instantly recognisable and, even though he “did it all”, was very unassuming and certainly made the impression of one who did what he did for love, and not for recognition. Adieu George, you’re amongst the great ones, and will be as fondly remembered as you are sorely missed.

Fantastic player and seemed such a good bloke. I spent my twenties listening to ‘Reach for It’ constantly - best heavy funk I’ve ever heard.

Steve.

Yes,

i only found out yesterday !! Thats a real shame

My fav solo of him is on Daisy Mae by Trombonist Raul De Souza :-

He also did some recordings in the 1970’s with Airto and Flora Purim.

Ta,

Paul

Yes RIP, a really great man has left us.

Great player. Of course, he’s known mostly for his Funk and Fusion stuff, but the guy was a terrific and distinctive straight Jazz and standards player, too.

RIP