I know it’s hard to narrow the problem. When using my EVO8 with it’s ASIO, I have the common windows white screen… sometimes it’s working for hours, sometimes dies quick.
When using EVO8 through Generic Low Latency driver, no issues.
They released a new driver yesterday for EVOs (fixing some awaited issues, so, I didn’t wanted to post this topic until new driver is released and installed).
As soon as Audio setup switched to Audient’s ASIO, risk for freeze is back. Unfortunately I can only use Multi I/O’s only via ASIO.
What else can I say? Problem 100% occurs when hit stop (or SPACE bar). Not other thing can trigger this freeze. Not counts that I create new project for testing, or loading previous ones. Surprisingly it looks, there is less risk if I set sample rate to 96k (despite my tracks are 48kHz), but can’t say it a fact just a feel. Compared to other programs: Cubase and Reaper never had issue with this EVO8, therefore it’s driver can’t be blamed alone, but something is hiding or crossing each other for sure.
As before, my setup never ever generating crash dumps, although at this type of freeze I have the normal white-faded screen only, that takes forever until I close VSTLive from task manager.
I meight found something: This only comes when using generic drv (when doing some adjustment w.o EVO8) then later (minutes-deays) connecting EVO8 again. Despite my UAD, EVO8 loves to threw sample rate and buffer settings, loves to jump to 96k… not all the time from the new (2months old) driver.
VSTLive hasn’t got the power to “force” EVO8 use project saved sample-rate and buffer-size
Compared to Cubase: if there is a project setting for 48k, and AudioDevice’s is different, it’s trying to force it or drops me a warning what to do. The same does Reaper. With other words, the EVO8 panel can freely change VSTLive’s project values while can’t do the same in Reaper/Cubase. I don’t know if that makes sense to you?
when setting back in dropdown “Audio Setup” from Generic to Audient ASIO, additionally touching sample rate (to 48k), closing… can increase chance of freezing. When opening VSTLive, set AudioSetup to Audient, sample-rate, also double check they are the same in EVO8’s own panel.
Saving (without playing). Reopening, checking all settings remained. Then it seems to be issue-less.
Thanks a lot.
If the device refuses to accept the proposed sample rate, things get tricky. It could be that it reports a rate that is not known to the host; that would violate the ASIO protocol, as devices have to report which rates they support in the first place. We will check what happens when a „forbidden“ sample rate is set by the device.
Furthermore it looks as though the problems can be forced in Cubase as well, if you switch between those ASIO drivers rapidly, it‘s just much more difficult to get there because you have to close and re-open the dialog to do that. We will apply a delay after switching drivers and/or sample rates.
thank u for your reply. I will do further tests. The great news is, none of the accepted sample rates are un-common to booth systems (44.1, 48, 88, 96k). When changing them, vice-versa, they booth doing the changes, no sign of any “non supported value”. Anyways, it’s really hard to catche.
As trying in cubase and reaper the same “game”, they keep “their” project settings untouched (Cubase drops a yellow “!” if soundcard haswn’t apply the same. Reaper has a tick “request samplerate/blocksize” and in my experience with “rebellish” EVO8… it can’t override Reaper at all, in no circumstances then Additionally nor Cubase/Reaper freeze even in case of Cubase’s yellow “!” in project samplerate value.
Please tell me what to try out / screen rec to give more detailed nfo.
Thank u for your support.