RME ASIO driver

On my system Dorico can fully communicate with my “RME Raydat” ASIO soundcard only through the “Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver” provided by Dorico. Through the Device Control Panel I can freely choose any of the 16 in- and outputs of the Raydat soundcard. So everything is working.

But I wonder why, if I choose the “ASIO Hammerfall DSP” driver which is the official driver provided by RME for the Raydat soundcard, I get no sound at all from Dorico.
With the RME driver active, clicking on the Device Control Panel button does not open the Device Control Panel of Dorico but it opens instead the "Hammerfall DSP Settings windows of the Raydat soundcard.
This is not where one can choose the in- and ouputs for the soundcard.
Do you have any idea why the official RME driver does not work?

I vaguely remember to have read in this forum something about some difficulty Dorico has to communicate with the RME official drivers but I can’t find the thread any more.

Also I read this in this thread:

So it should be better to use the official RME ASIO driver.
But on my system it does not work with Dorico.
BTW with Cubase I never encountered any problem with the RME driver which are known to be some of the best ASIO drivers.

That’s strange. If the interface runs with Cubase then it also should with Dorico, because Dorico’s audio engine is derived from Cubase and especially in the driver handling exactly same.
Do you have Cubase open at the same time? Because they can’t share one device at the same time.

In Dorico, could you please choose from the main menu Help > Create Diagnostic Report. That will create a zip file on your desktop. Please send to u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de.

you need to learn how to use totalmix or put in in DAW mode.
otherwise you will have no sound. the RME driver works fine, you just need to configure totalmix for your setup

No, only Dorico is running.

Done.
BTW, I wrote in german as I assume you’re german.

Uh! I use RME Soundcards since a long time and I never had to use Total Mix.
I really hope I do not have to!

It depends on how TMFX is configured. Again if it works in Cubase there is no reason why it shouldn’t in Dorico.

Update:
In the meantime I communicated with Ulf per E-Mail and he helped me to sort out the issue.
For anyone interested here a short version:
it has to do with the fact that at the moment Dorico can only use the two first ports of a soundcard.
These ports were not connected to my PC but only 9-16 and I wanted to use the ports 9-10.
Changing the hardware connection to the first ADAT port of the Raydat solved the problem.

According to Ulf, Dorico will have later the possibility to route to any port but he could not say when this will be.

Am I right in thinking then that even though I have a RME Hammerfall HDSP Adat Card in my PC (with 3 sets of ADAT out ports, ie 24 outs on ADAT), Dorico can only address a 2 channel stereo output at the moment?

That would answer why although I’ve configured Kontakt 5 as multiouts (and seen the KT st.1-8 channels in the mixer) nothing comes out of the multi-outs into my Yamaha 02R desk, other than a stereo output on audio channels 1&2 of the RME card.

I take it at some point multi-outs will become available?

Yes, at the moment Dorico will only output through the first stereo pair. We expect to make it possible to at least choose another pair of outputs in the near future, but I’m not sure at what point we will be able to implement completely general output routing that will allow you to output to more than a pair.

Thanks Daniel…that sorts that one.

I’ve asked the same question within a bigger question of how to integrate Dorico and Cubase, possibly via midi output from Dorico, with audio and expression enhancement from within Cubase.