RMS Normalization

Which version of Wavelab has RMS Normalization? Thanks for any useful answer. :wink:

DG

WaveLab only.

Thanks.

DG

Will there be also file normaization according to EBU R128 in WL8 ?

Thanx
Jean

Yes, this is planned.

When is WL 8 due?

I have equipped 3 studios with the Nugen LMB now, but when I can keep the cash for two other rooms I work in by updating to WL 8 I would prefer that.

Ollie

Yes, this is planned.

Hi Philippe,
these are good news ! :smiley:

Will this include ā€œdestructiveā€ normalizing, adapting the level of the file to reach an LU target,
or will there also be a ā€œnon-destructiveā€ choice, where gain paramaters (to reach LU target) can be written to metatags e.g. FLAC or mp3 like in ā€œReplayGainā€ without touching the original level of the file ?
In the latter case, Loudness normalizing will happen later in an appropriate player, able to read the corresponding ā€œReplayGainā€ tags/parameters ā€œtrack gainā€ etc.

Thanx
Jean

All that is under development. Weā€™ll try to be as complete as possible.

Interesting reading. Iā€™m curious how/where this works; presumably it applies to material used on those automated (unmanned) play-out systems, where different needs are required, appropriate to the environment/medium.

But, for the hard working audio editor/engineer, Iā€™m failing to see the benefit. Iā€™m guessing, but donā€™t you still need to output and supply the source files in each instance anywayā€¦? Why not just render out appropriately adjusted source files for a given situationā€¦? Do the play-out systems require that these ā€˜meta-tagsā€™ are present in order to functionā€¦?

Maybe of course, Iā€™ve got all this completely wrongā€¦! :slight_smile:

Please, enlighten me a littleā€¦

Bob

Hi,

Loudness Normalizing is a benefit for broadcast playout systems indeed.

If you have Loudness Normalized audio elements,
like music files, news, commercials, interviews, etc, all normalized to the same target LU level,
there will be no loudness jumps anymore.

You can play Metallicaā€™s Death Magnetic and Dire Straitsā€™ Brothers in Arms back to back,
and the percieved loudness will be the same (Dire Straits will sound great, while hypercompressed Metallica with obviously reduced level will sound like sh***, hehe).

Some of the Broadcast Playout Systems are able to use ā€œReplayGainā€ parameters, that means that they are able to read the corresponding gain data in tags (e.g. FLAC or mp3-tags) and adjust playout level correspondingly.
This is the ā€œnon-destructiveā€ way which I personally prefer since it leaves my audio material in the archive unaltered.

If the Meta tags for gain are present, these playout systems apply the corresponding gain correction; if no Meta tags are present, the level stays unaltered.

Of course, the same effect is achieved if the files have been loudness normalized before, but this is called ā€œdestructiveā€ normalization.

ReplayGain is possible in foobar2000 as an example for a software player as well as the player in CATraxx, an audio database management system .
mAirList is an example for a broadcast playout system using ReplayGain.

Hope this helped
Kind regards
Jean

That was a help, and an interesting read/insight; thank you for taking the timeā€¦ :wink:

So, ones main advantage/use of this ReplayGain meta-tag facility, is that source material can be left intact (or ā€˜untouchedā€™). I guess I was looking to see if there was any ā€˜speed-upā€™ to ones workflow as such - i.e. one set of files, multiple meta-tag headers(?) suppliedā€¦

But, if Iā€™m reading this right, youā€™d still need to perform a full render each time to ā€˜stampā€™ the files with the new (changed) info in the meta-tagsā€¦ so no real workflow gainā€¦ :wink:

Ok, thanks againā€¦

Bob

Glad to give some information.

But, if Iā€™m reading this right, youā€™d still need to perform a full render each time to ā€˜stampā€™ the files with the new (changed) info in the meta-tagsā€¦ so no real workflow gainā€¦ > :wink:

You just need to apply appropriate software to the file, i.e. read the Loudness according to EBU R128 and write the gain info into the tags, the files are not changed (ok, if you change something to the file, you have to recalculate the Loudness). This is not a full render.
You can batch write tags, and it is rather quick (e.g. in foobar2000 or using the software ā€œR128GAINā€).

Best regards
Jean

ordered two more copies of LMB todayā€¦ :frowning:

LMB is great ā€¦ but expensive.

A major drawback for me was that LMB is not able to write Loudness information to metatags.

Jean