Roland Fantom 6 connection to cubase 11

Hi Guys.

I’m trying to connect my Roland Fantom 6 to Cubase 11. As an instrument which I can plays via USB and hopefully as a midi controller.
I tried to find in the midi device manager midi device which I can Install but it doesn’t exist.
It seems like Cubase detect three midi channels (fantom -6 7 8 , fantom -6 7 8 DAW control, fantom -6 7 8 Midi in) which react to midi notes but doesn’t give any sound. Just to be sure: When I’m playing the roland via mic/line it does work.
In the Instrument itself I’ve updated it to the latest firmware and changed the USB to Vendor and also tried to change the USB cable to a different one.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Although older, perhaps this helps:

1 Like

Thanks… I guess what I was trying to do is impossible.
The only way to record sound is via audio input.

It seems like Cubase detect three midi channels (fantom -6 7 8 , fantom -6 7 8 DAW control, fantom -6 7 8 Midi in) which react to midi notes but doesn’t give any sound. Just to be sure: When I’m playing the roland via mic/line it does work.

I’m sorry, but it’s somewhat unclear whether the problem is with your system or your expectations based on the quote above.

MIDI messages don’t carry audio data. They’re used to control other sound sources (other keyboards, sound modules, virtual instruments, etc.).

The Fantom has it’s own audio interface. What are you using as your audio interface currently?

You have to select the Fantom in the VST Audio System (Within Studio Setup) to be able to use it as an audio interface.

However, if you currently use a dedicated audio interface, The main problem is that only one audio interface can be used at once - unless you’re on a Mac, in which case you can create an ‘aggregate’ device to merge them together.

Thanks…
My expectation were wrong. Beforehand I had an Arturia midi control which came with a dedicated VST so I guess I mixed it all up…
Still I’m not sure what the different midi channels are for. I thought maybe the DAW control is for using MIDI cc for the Faders or something…