Roland Jv 1080 expansion cards - patch list?

Hi everyone!

I’m trying to find a way to use my 5 roland expansion cards (01 pop - 02 orchestral - 04 vintage - 06 Dance - 07 Super soundset) with cubase 7. Where can i get the scipts files and how to install them. I tried importing roland xml files into Cubase midi devices manager but didn’t work. I converted these files to text and tried to import them, didn’t work.

What can i do?

Thanks!

Been a while but I used to make patch scripts in excel, works really nice.

If you don’t want to type in each name you have to find a list of the names. I’ve even run OCR on pictures of patch names to get the typed lists.

You would paste names in a column in excel then build the script using concatenation of the columns.

here’s an article about scripts in general:

I can explain further if you decide to try it.

Which version of Cubase 7 do you have? I ask, because I do have a MIDI Device for the JV 1080, with 3 of your 4 expansion cards (I have “World” here, rather than your “Dance”), but, being a full MIDI device with its own GUI, it requires the full version of Cubase (I can’t remember now if it will even load into Cubase Artist).
Anyways, I attach a zip of the xml. Unzip it and try to import it via the Devices menu>MIDI Device Manager>“Import Setup”.
It will either work, or it won’t :wink:.
But being just a standard xml, you might be able to open it up in a regular text editor, and paste the desired into an xml that does work on your system. (If you have the actual data for your Dance expansion card, you should be able to substitute it for the World card data).
Being optimistic ( :wink: ), if it does import ok, you will need to have the MIDI track set to “Any” in order to see the full GUI (opened from the icon just to the right of the RW buttons in the top section of the Inspector. It also has a panel for the the Device Panel section of the track’s Inspector, and another one for the “Panel” section of the MIDI channel in the Mixer :wink: )
Let us know if it works for you :wink:.
JV1080_MIX.zip (931 KB)

Thank you Vic!

I imported your mixer into Cubase 7 but that’s not really what i was looking for. I only need the patch lists of the expansions so that i can recall patches directly from cubase. Cubase has the patches alright for user bank and the 3 presets and Gm banks. But i need the patches for my 5 epxansions… I found some xml files on the net but i can’t import them into cubase. I tried to convert them to text and import them and it didn’t work either.

I did inadvertently give you a misdirection for what you need… while you do need the MIDI track to be set to “Any”, in order to see the GUI, it prevents you from seeing the patches for a MIDI channel… so set it to “1”, and you should at least now be able to see the patch lists for my expansion cards… apologies :wink:.
Btw, those patches should work just fine, so long as you have your expansion cards in the same slots as the software patchlist.

The only thing i can do when i select 1 on the midi track is that i can select a patch number but i don’t see the names…

Hmm… I have no idea why. I get this here…

Oh man! I wish it worked for me too! The mixer seems great too for editing, specially in performance mode…
Did you make the JV1080_MIX with your version of Cubase? (export configuration - midi device manager) I see you use Cubase 8.5, i use 7.0.7, maybe that’s why it’s not working well? I found another solution; i started from another script i found on the net (XP80 with expansions) and renamed all the patches one by one (pasting from a text list) in the device manager. It took about 2 hours for my 4 expansions but it’ll work fine. I whish i could use your mixer too for performance mixing and editing. Would you try one more thing please; export your mixer from Cubase and send it again.

Thanks for everything.

It is actually very old (I think I worked on it in Cubase 4… I’ve just noticed that the xml I uploaded is dated 2006! :wink:. Originally, the MIDI Device was a very basic one proposed by Steinberg, which I used as an exercise, to expand its functions and its look, with a lot of help from a forum member during that time, a very clever Device programmer, who went by the name of SeeWise (he kinda vanished… I hope he is ok :slight_smile: )
Anyways… it originally looked like this (and didn’t have any patch lists at all!)…

I shall re-export my MIDI Device.xml, but, when exported directly from the Device Manager window (Export Setup), it contains all my other devices also… so you’ll have to select just the one you want, when you Import :wink:

… EDIT: Darn it! … the file is too big to upload, even when zipped… and I’m afraid I don’t want to delete my other devices, just to export the JV on its own, sorry :wink:.
On the other hand, if you PM me, giving me your email address, i can email it to you (3.4 MB zipped)

(btw, there is really no need to “thank” me each time I reply :wink: )

Well, i feel so thankfull…

Now, i’m trying to insert the patch list i created into your mixer xml file. I know there’s a way but i’m still unsuccessful… I tried many times to copy and pastes a few lines from the patch list i created to your mixer xml file. I created one patch bank containing 1 patch (in device manager) and locate that line in the text editor, then replace it by some other lines from my patch srcipt, the final xml file won’t open… so there must be an error, something i do wrong, not copying the exact amount of lines… or something. I’m really not familiar with xml language but i’ll keep trying. In a meantime, i will send you my email so you can send me your new Mixer file. (thanks!!)

I wrote earlier about this but the post has been deleted…

Now, i’m trying to insert the patch list i created into the mixer xml file i itold you about. I know there’s a way but i’m still unsuccessful… I tried many times to copy and pastes a few lines from the patch list i created to the mixer xml file. I created one patch bank containing 1 patch (in device manager) and locate that line in the text editor, then replace it by some other lines from my patch srcipt, the final xml file won’t open… so there must be an error, something i do wrong, not copying the exact amount of lines… or something. I’m really not familiar with xml language so if you have an idea, please let me know. Thanks!

Maybe it is now time to warn you that the Device Manager Editor is buggy as hell! :smiling_imp: :wink:… especially if you are hoping to use “Undo” at any point. I would recommend Saving your work (incrementally) frequently, so that you can always reload a version that is “ok as far as you had gotten” :wink: )

I gave up the xml edition in notepad… too laborious… I finally decided to make my patch list using the midi device manager and start from your soundlist and mixer. After 2-3 thousands mouse clics, 7-8 hundred copy and paste, my JV 1080 setup with 5 expansions is ready for use with Cubase!! I still think there’s an easy way for doing that, suppose you have 8 expansions card and want to swap some of these… There must be a way to copy a whole patch bank with a few clicks.

Anyway, even if i spent hours doing that, i learned a lot and i’m looking forward to use my JV1080 again, this machine is so great, the sounds so big!

Cheers and thanks again for everything!

Hi jazzmannnn

I’m looking for an Patchlist for my JV1080’s in Cubase with the same Cards as you have! I couldn’t find anything online and as I’m not very talented in programming I don’t think I will be able to make one myself. Is it possible to get my hands on the XML file you made?

Regards.
Luc