Route Kick Drum To Synth

And do you happen to know the programming of the Transformer. I found it and I have screened the net for how to set it up for this particular problem, found a lot of other stuff but alas not for this. So what I want is the synth to react only to one of the MIDI notes that the drums sends, and that is for the kick.

Sorry, I gave you the hard way that would give more options and configuration than necessary. If it is a MIDI track, there will be a MIDI Modifiers tab in the inspector. For Instrument Tracks, you can add the MIDI Modifiers plugin as a MIDI Insert. The MIDI Modifiers should be self explanatory, but there is a “Range” section that you can set to Note Limit or Note Filter.

Set the Transformer up like the screen grab below… make sure it’s set just to Local and that the Module is turned on.

Thx. Almost there I believe. First I must say I am impressed by how you know the codes for the Transformer. It is beyond me. Far beyond.

However it is not quite there yet. With the given set up:
-The synth still sounds on all drums when playing the keyborad (with the drums track chosen/highlighted)
-The synth yields sound on C1 only when the synth track is chosen/highlighted
-The synth still sounds on all drums when recording when only the drum track is record enabled
-The synth still sounds on all drums when playing back any recorded material (factory grooves and recordings by me)

The only way to get the drum software to trigger the synth on the kick only is if I record enable both the drums and the synth. This will however give two MIDI tracks and during playback the synth will still sound on all drums recorded. I could of course turn off the MIDI send, but It will still leave me with two tracks to edit instead of one and factory grooves are not usable. Perhaps my desire is not possible in Cubase?

Puzzling.

set the synth to monitor not record use the MIDI Modifiers instead of the input filter.

Sorry but this does not work either. Kind of the same problem. If the synth is set to monitor it will react on every MIDI instrument in the project. If it is not set to monitor it will sound with every drum hit.

The MIDI modifier works when playing live. Everything is fine and dandy then and the synth kick will only sound with the drum kit kick, but during play back of a recording (or a factory groove) it will still sound with every drum, or not at all, depending on the settings. I cannot get it to behave correctly.

Since I am not able to get this to work I think I will do it the “old” way of copying all the kick MIDI notes and place them on the synth track and take the cumbersome way of editing both tracks. Even though I am not able to set it up correctly the Serum Kick and Superior sounds awesome together. Very pleased with that and the old way works.

Anyway many thx for the engagement and effort to all contributing to this post.

Unfortunately you aren’t getting the routing. It is simple. But you don’t go;low the differences.

I’ll have another look later, I’m pretty sure you shouldn’t have these problems…should be pretty straightforward.

Yes I must be doing something wrong here. This is my set up:

• In the drum software “MIDI out” is activated. This is a switch within the drum software itself. However turning it off does not seem to influence anything at all, but for the rest of the description it is in “on” position.

• On the drum track I have activated MIDI sends and send to the synth, in my case Serum - MIDI in

• On the synth track I have “All MIDI inputs” activated and “Serum - Midi in”.

• On the Synth track I have activated the Input transformer and set it up like the enclosed image :

• I have turned off the monitor button on the synth (it is yellow).

This setup will, when the synth track is activated, make the synth only play on C1. The rest of the keys are dead. The same goes when activating the drum track (only the drum track activated and the synth plays along on the kick drum solely, not the rest of the drums)- but ONLY for live playing (or recording). During playback of a recording the synth will sound with all drums. (However with the monitor button in off (yellow position) the synth will pick up C1 signals from any other MIDI instrument, so it need to be turned off after recording).

Since this set up did not cut it I fumbled a bit with the MIDI modifier on the synth track. However I am very uncertain how to use it. I have tried several things, but all I ca achieve is to make the synth go back to sounding together with all drums, even when playing live or recording.

So my result is that it works for live playing and recording, but not for play back… so where did I go wrong? In the MIDI modifier perhaps? What should be the correct setting?

If the monitor button is yellow, that means it’s on. It should be off, so grey.

Turning the monitor button off (to gray) will only make it worse. Then the synth will sound together with all the drums.

I can’t check tonight as I’m not going to be at home but something is wrong there, I’ll run it again on my system tomorrow and tell you exactly what I’ve done (with Groove Agent SE and Halion Sonic SE) which is what I did before. I’ll check both Live and recorded sequences. Hve you a Dropbox account that you could share a Demo song file with this in?

I’ve attached a project that has Groove Agent SE with one of its default patterns sending the audio out to separate channels. I labeled one of the outs kick and left the rest to default although all the routing is separate. I then use the MIDI from GA SE to run the Retrologue set to a crappy kickish sound. I set it to filter incoming notes. So, I can hear the GA Kit, and Retrologue only responds to C1 (kick from the pattern). Just hit play. This took me all of 30 seconds to set up.
Synth Passthru.zip (1.82 MB)

you can also just hit C1 on your keyboard and just the kick will play on both GA and Retrologue. Hit D1 and you will hear the snare via Out 3 and Retrologue will not play.

Good one!

Have you tried to drag a groove from Groove agent into the project and see how it plays? Does the synth still play on only the kick?

I’m not in my studio, but if you did that the synth should not play at all as you are using the MIDI track not GA at that point. And, you have GA pointed at the synth track.

-I opened the SynthPassThrough project and played live = everything is fine.
-Did recording = everything is fine.
-Playback = not working.
-Dragged a groove from Groove Agent into the project = not working.

During playback the synth does not sound. (Or it sounds on ALL drums if the monitor button is off (grey)). This is the problem I have been having with all the solutions. What is working with live and recording does not work during playback. At least here. So I am back to square 1. There is no point if it does not playback the same way it recorded.

Again, you are not understanding the routing. The synth isn’t sounding because you are now using the MIDI track not the GA midi send and the synth is set to respond to GA. If you use the MIDI track after recording, you have to use MIDI sends and put the Modifier plugin on the sending track.