Routing a track to two separate outputs?

I’d like to have my playback output go through soundID to my converter to my speakers, and at the same time output through another set of channels on my converter to some external analysis/metering that analyzes the output without the soundID adjustments. Is this possible?

Hi!

What is SoundID,
What kind of hardware/audio interface ?

a setup with 2 Montage tracks
like Track 1. 1&2 and Track 2. 3&4
output in Audio Device Settings
Track 1. SoundID on Track 1
Track 2. without SoundID same music as Track 1
use solo or mute and switch between track 1 and 2

regards S-EH

1 Like

Hi, Thank you for this idea. However, this means I need to do two identical versions of the Mastering activity (plugins, settings etc.). I’d like to have a single track go to two outputs.

I see then I think a software mixer or hardware
to route to your needs

1. 1 & 2 L+R SoundID
  2. 1 & 2 L+R Analysis

someone else have ideas here !?

regards S-EH

Thanks Thomas!

regards S-EH

I do this all the time. I have a Z-systems router so the AES output of my RME sound card goes to the router and then to the monitoring gear and also to my monitoring setup. Easypeasy… I can also , if needed , go to any number of other AES inputs all without any signal degradation. There are also simple splitters that will take the output of your sound card’s digital output and route it to other devices. FWIW

The reason this is an issue is that WL doesn’t have any send/aux busses.

The simplest way around it that I can think of is…

1. SoundID goes in a Playback Processing slot.
  2. You put an “External Effect” in the main Effects section on the Master, that essentially gives you a split for the signal.

The important thing is that whatever controls the external thing (e.g., TotalMix, another DAW with a virtual sound card, etc.), routes the audio unchanged back into the return and also sends it off to your meters.

There are a lot of ways to do that in hardware or software, depending on the details of your setup, as well as some technical gotchas (e.g., truncating without dither).

I’ve done something like this before using the 32-bit FP version of ReaRoute and a Reaper session to host plugins that WL doesn’t like. The big downside is that WL then forces you to use ReaRoute as your sound card…which means you have to create an output bus in Reaper to actually be able to hear it.

But…that also means that you could host Sound ID (or any other playback processing) in Reaper rather than WL…which might be useful for other non-WL things as well…but it would be more convoluted to integrate an analog loop or actual recording.

What you want is possible…it just might get a little convoluted.

Thank you.

I didn’t know about the external effect option. That could be my ticket.

John.

Thanks Thomas,

So, you don’t do anything in wavelab but split it outside of the computer. In my case soundID is in the computer so I think I have to split in the computer and send the soundID piece to the speakers and the not soundID piece to the metering.

My interface/converter has plenty of available channels I think my challenge is getting the output from wavelab to go to two separate stereo busses to separate output channels on my interface/converter.

It feels like a bit of a hack but I was able to use a surround montage layout (instead of stereo) and use Left/Right as my normal left and right and then use Surround Left/Right for another stereo playback path routed to another output of my interface.

I would say if you do this, be mindful of your rendering settings so that what you are hearing is what are really getting on rendering.

2 Likes

Just right, Thanks Justin.

In most Digital Audio Workstations (DAWs), you can route an audio track to multiple outputs using a process called “bussing.” Bussing allows you to take a single audio track and send it to multiple outputs, allowing you to apply different effects or processing to different copies of the same track.

The process for routing a track to multiple outputs will depend on the specific DAW you are using. But, in general, it will involve creating an auxiliary channel (also called “bus” or “sub-mix”) and then routing your track to that channel. From there, you can then route the bus channel to different outputs.

For example, in Pro Tools you can create a bus, assign it to your desired output, and then route your track to that bus. Once you’ve done this, you can create another bus and route the same track to that one as well if you want.

This way you can have 2 (or more) separate outputs for the same track giving you the ability to process it differently, apply different effects, panning or balance it differently.

Hi!

Yes, but like JS Mastering is saying above
“WaveLab dosen’t have any send/aux busses”

you have to find other solutions inside WL like Justin is pointing out
software or hardware mixer routing e.t.c

maybe WL 12…

regards S-EH