Routing compter's stereo out as an input

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster - thanks to the community for posting as I’ve usually managed to find my answers here, but this time, I’ve had no luck.

In a previous version of cubase (I believe it was an iteration of SX, but not really sure), I was able to route my computers normal stereo output as a track input where a bus would be selected. Somewhat recently, I updated to 5 and havent been able to do such.

Mostly using this as a quick and easy way to sample little things here and there (lines of dialog from movies while playing in windows media player and such) for my own use.

I have the means to do it via an interface I use if I change the settings on it, but thats a hassle as the interface isn’t at home and I’m rarely watching movies or sampling things at the studio.

Anyone have any tips for me on this matter??

Do you mean ‘within’ the computer and it’s motherboards own built-in audio interface(?), which I’ve never heard of this being possible, but if it was, I’d think you’d do this within it’s own audio software mixer/control panel. Unless your computers built-in interface’s software control panel has the above type ‘selections’ available, I don’t see how this would be possible.

I know my own Aardvark audio interfaces are capable of doing this, and is easily done within it’s Aark software control panel, by simply selecting a physical connection as either an ‘In’ or an ‘Out’.

If you’re talking about from within Cubase, which I’d THINK most routing schemes would be the same among all versions, each track has it’s setting for inputs and outputs of course, but that’s not the same as what I think you’re asking.

That’s all I’ve got for a guess