Routing from a VST instrument directly to a audio track?

With this update do I still have to route from a VST Instrument track, into a group track, then to a audio track?
It would be very sad if so. Because now NI’s Maschine is coming with 16 outs.

Please tell me I can route directly to an audio track!!!

Yes you cannot route directly to an audio track, in the same way you cannot route audio to a VST.

You create a group channel. Then send the output from vst instrument to that group. Fi you use VST rack (F11) then choose the vst stereo output to that group. The groupchannel output should be "no output. Then create a stereo channel. Choose the groupchannel as input. The click the monitor buttom och the stereo channel. Press record!

Surely there is an easier way?

How does it work in other programs?

You didn´t even have to do that in C5…

Didn’t have to do what?

Route to groups then to audio…

Ok thinkingcap, so what do you do short of freezing an instrument track or using batch export?

I´m still talking about internal summing…
You can choose any output bus of your project as audio track input, as long as you´re not creating a feedback loop. There is no need to go via group tracks first…

Yes but isn’t this the reason why year in year out there are complaints, in that the notion of “movable frozen parts” and so on can even make it to a FAQ?

Being one of the top DAW’s, and my favourite too, I think it is a shame Steinberg didn’t add this long time ago!

Same as adding support for .flac in Wavelab. But that belongs to another thread.
Sorry for dropping it here.

Sorry, don´t understand what you mean with that? The question was about having to route to groups first to record internally. At least that´s how I understood it…

Hi

I am saying that due to the various aspects of VST and ASIO you cannot (at this time) have a streamlined way of working with MIDI then onto VST and finally ASIO output.

The same is also true for inputting audio to VST.

While cubase is awesome, it does leave a great deal to be desired in my view in terms of audio handling.

Sorry, I´m maybe ebeing a little thick here, but I still don´t get what you´re aiming at, sorry :blush:
But reading this thread about assigning subgroups and deconnecting them-bullshit, it seems to me, many users don´t even know how stream lined (or let´s better say: less convoluted) things can be, if you take some time to actually look into the program. And by that I´m not saying, everything is great…

I’m saying things at present can’t be as simple as what users would like simply due to the nature (or design) of the VST/ASIO systems, which are basically separate technologies so while cubase has the most features of all DAW’s, it’s methods are not always necessarily the most streamlined.

Cheers

I also agree that Cubase is far from perfect and probably won’t be in its C6 incarnation either - cos then a real upgrade would require them having a melodyne DNA editor embedded in every audio track - but, if i understood well, wasn’t this post originally referring to internal summing which is a function available since C4, like this steinbergusers.com (internal summing)
(i recently attached this link to another post, pls don’t think i make a buck for every link attached :slight_smile:

Well, surely it never will be, and simple (or “good”) for one person is not simple (“good”) for someone else. And as always there are people, who can understand his more easily than others…

Why never possible?

Does it not say something that those of us here, completely ignorant to programming are able to understand what is the fundamental flaw in the SDK(s).

Steinberg set the standards, now is the time to start improving them for the future of audio and media on the computer otherwise how will this application eventually be ported to the next generation of workstation, ie tablet using firmware based OS?

Ok I admit I know nothing about DAW’s when it comes to programming, but please tell me why it is easy as saying cheese doing the same in Ableton? Shouldn’t it be easy implementing it?

I read the thread which took some odd turns having nothing to do with the OP but anyway, as was said or suggested earlier I think…

You can - much like using bus paths in the PT routing matrix - create dummy busses in VST Outputs to route audio this way from any audio output path to the input of any audio track. Just create some busses (outputs in VST Outputs) to use for this, don’t assign them to any hardware, name them so you know what they are, and store them in your default I/O setup.

To send the output of a VI into a audio track point (send, assign directly, whatever) it to one of the dummy outs and assign the input of the audio track to that path. I’ve been doing this since mid v4 I think. Using groups for that just adds more clutter to arrange.

Additionally, I’m not sure what all the other stuff about ASIO and midi and capabilities has to do with any of this as relates to maybe doing it directly in the future. You can already send audio directly from one track to another via VST 3 side chaining so it seems like the internal paths may already exist in the protocols, to send audio to another track, or pull a signal in from another track.

If a VST3 plug they created can do it I think the people who developed the plug and the daw (and the protocols for both) can probably do it without the plug… create an audio path like that… with the current system. I also think if one could maybe insert a special plug just for that, to send audio directly to another track for whatever reason, it would probably suffice for those who need it and want to do a lot of that kinda thing I guess. I don’t do it a lot though.