Routing FX Channels and Send effects questions

Hi,

I’m finishing setting up my orchestral template and I have a few questions about track sends and routing tracks to FX channels.

In my template, the instruments are grouped into sections, so let’s take the Violins 1 sections as an example:

• I have a group channel for Violins I that contains all Violins 1 tracks (with different articulations/libraries);

• I created an FX channel (reverb) called “Reverb: Strings” as a send in the Violins I group channel. This FX Channel is routed to BUS 1.

Regarding routing, the group channel “Violins 1” should be routed to the FX Channel “Reverb Strings” or routed to BUS 1?
I noticed that if the “Violins 1” group channel is routed to BUS 1, I can change the send amount in this channel to get a more wet or dry sound.
If the “Violins 1” group channel is routed to the “Reverb: Strings” BUS, changing the send amount doesn’t affect the sound (more wet or dry). It’s only affected if I move the fader of the “Reverb: Strings” FX channel in the Mix console.

So, what would be the best approach for routing?

Is there a real difference between:

1. changing the reverb amount in the track send slider (leaving the fader of the FX channel in a fixed position)

2. and moving the fader of the FX Channel (leaving the track send slider in a fixed position)?

The only advantage that I can notice using the first method (moving only the track send slider), is that I can have a single reverb FX channel for each orchestral section and then adjust the amount of reverb for each instrument.
Example: I can have Strings long and short articulations routed to the same reverb FX Channel and then adjust the track send slider differently for long and short articulations (usually these require less reverb).

With the second method, I need to create different FX channels for Long and Short articulations and then adjust the faders in the Mix console.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Can you provide a screenshot of your routings?
I’m not sure if I understand what you are doing exactly…

the difference is the ease of use… moving only the return fader is easier

The first screenshot is related to Mix Console 2 where the different articulations of each instrument are grouped into instrument group channels and then routed into a section group channel. These sections are then sent to the FX Channel (reverb).
The strings (as well as the other sections) are divided into Long articulations and Short articulations.
So, all long articulations from Vlns 1 and 2, Vlas, Vlc and Cb are routed to Group Channel “Strings Longs”, all short articulations are routed to Group Channel “Strings Shorts”.
These two Strings Group Channels have a Send Reverb Channel (picture 2).
Initially, I had each of these two Group Channels routed to the dedicated Reverb FX Channel (i.e. Group Channel “Strings Longs” routed to the Reverb FX Channel “Strings Longs”) but if I do that, the track send slider doesn’t work, so I routed these two Group Channels to BUS 1.

What I’m considering doing is to have a send FX Channel (Reverb) to each of the strings instruments instead of grouping them in the Group Channel “Strings Longs” and “Strings Shorts”. This way I can control, with more precision, the amount of reverb to each instrument (currently all strings are receiving the same reverb because they are grouped into “Strings Longs” and “Strings Shorts”)

Sorry, forgot to choose reply to your post. My previous post is the answer to your question.

Your description is… still difficult to understand…
But I think you created a routing loop in the first place…so Cubase didn’t allowed the feedback loop…

normally I use FX sends on the instrument channels and group the returns as part of the sections…
I set the send level once (mostly around -6dB, there is a setting in preferences that does this automatically) and change the reverb return only…
Sends are post fader, so lower signals send less signal to the FX as well