Routing Issue

Hi,
I need some help in knowing how to route a outboard hardware Compressor into my Cubase. I’ve checked the connection of the Compressor to my interface and they seem to be all correct, but don’t know how to bring it up and route it in my Cubase. I want it set up so that I can use the Compressor during monitoring/mixing.
Thanks.

Hi,

In Cubase Pro, you can make an External effect, what makes the process much easier.

In other Cubase editions, you have to use an Audio track to get the processed signal back. From Audio Track 1, send the output to the Compressor (via Out 1). Connect the compressor output to the Audio Device’s input 2. Add Audio Track 2 with Input 2 and Output 2. Enable Monitor on the Audio Track 2. Here, you can hear the processed signal, or you can record it to the track. Connect Output 2 to your speakers (output 1 is routed to the compressor).

Sorry for my ignorance but how do i this? Can you please direct me to where all these output/audio device etc are located in DAW? I have Cubase AI.
I assume by Audio Track 1 you mean any audio event I have selected?

Hi,

You can set the connection at Studio > Audio Connections Inputs and Outputs tab.

By Audio Track I mean Audio Track, not Audio Event (the whole track).

Ok, so my question is, and pardon my ignorance, how do I actually add it? Here is the screenshot: Clipboard01 — ImgBB

How do I create a tab and write in the name of the compressor and allocate it to it’s proper audio track?

Hi,

You will find the reply in the manual here.

But my Cubase does not have the option for adding External FX so the manual is of no help! :frowning: So my problem still remains…

Hi,

In the manual is described, how to add an Input or Output bus. This is what you need.

You can also search for Cubase LE manual and open the very same chapter there.

I LOOKED THROUGH THE MANUAL AND IT DOES NOT SHOW YOU HOW TO ADD AN EXTERNAL HARDWARE FX! I HAVE CUBASE 9.5 LE AI. PLEASE HELP?

Hi,

Please see my comment 29 Jan 2020 20:31.

And if you read my reply to your Jan. 29 reply I asked to be instructed how to do this because I could not find it! Here is my reply again:

Ok, so my question is, and pardon my ignorance, how do I actually add it? Here is the screenshot: Clipboard01 — ImgBB

How do I create a tab and write in the name of the compressor and allocate it to it’s proper audio track?

As I also mentioned there is NO EXTERNAL FX TAB option in my Cubase LE AI 9.5 version!!! So all your replies sadly do not apply or are of help to me.

Hi,

In my past I didn’t write about External FX.

You have to use extra Output bus. To this Bus you will route the signal which should be processed (to the Compressor In). And you will need to add an extra Input Bus to get the processed (from Compressor Out) signal back to Cubase. And you have to add an extra track in Cubase to monitor/record this processed signal.

• Audio Connections In > Add Mono/Stereo(?) In 2
  • Audio Connections Out > Add Mono/Stereo(?) Out 2
  • Source Audio Track > set the Out to the Mono/Stereo (?) Out 2
  • Add Audio Track “processed” > set Mono/Stereo (?) In 2; Stereo Out; enable Monitor.

Regarding the Source Audio Track > Set to the Mono/Stereo Out 2 - I can’t find this in my Cubase options, where is it located?
And with the Add Audio, there is no ‘processed’ option available in my Cubase too, where is the option located?

Hi,

Sorry, I give it up…

I would strongly recommend to watch some very basic video tutorials/quick starts.

I have read the manual and seen basic set up videos and none of them answer my question.

The problem also is the hardware gear does not show up in any of my audio connections, the only device that shows up is my interface. So something is not right in the chain…

Hi,

The compressor cannot show up in the Audio Connections. The Audio Device shows up and you have to use cables to connect your compressor o the Audio Device.

Finally, we have progress, thanks Martin…now I understand. So I took a screenshot of the added INPUT and OUTPUT BUS. See here:

The added BUS ( 3 & 4) is actually my Compressor. So when I now add an audio track and click on ‘insert’ for Compressor where do I find the device in the Inspector list of effects?

I have recorded 6 audio tracks, I want to add the compressor to one of the tracks only, so how do I add it to the track in Cubase, do I go to 'Insert and then find the device? As I said, the device is not listed or can be found inside the Inspector window.