Ryzen 7 1800x with Cubase 9 PRO

Anyone tried it yet?Interested how it compares to i7 6900k.
One large project, two systems.Data, pictures, asio meter behavior, etc.

Until some real Cubase/Ryzen owners reply, this should give you some idea:

Thank you.

Seems like it has some issues in regard to higher cpu usage/latency/buffer settings, chokes faster than I7 under heavy load.
Would like to see more tests though.

We plan to start tests with the new AMD processors soon.
However, benchmarks and tests from SCAN are always very reliable.

Fabio, that would be great.Would sure like to see the results of this test.

Looks like it performs well at some tasks but not pro audio (compared to top-end i7s), still it’s a big step up compared to older AMDs and it should bring the price of high-end Intels down as it’s a genuine competitor in some spaces.

Since I need to replace my current audio computer I was wondering if there is any news you can report on the tests with the new AMD Ryzen?

I wouldn’t bother, the results are quite depressing. I was working on a project using my i5 3750k and 8GB 1600MHz ram, and it was to the point of overloading the CPU. So I’d been waiting for a Ryzen for a while and read only good things and got myself a R5 1600 with 16GB 2400MHz ram. I opened the project again only to find that the Ryzen was worse than the i5. More stuttering and locks and now I have to run the latency buffer at 256 instead of 128. Hopefully it’ll improve as it is brand new after all but it’s not the start I wanted.

The OP is talking about Ryzen 7 CPUs (1700X, 1800X) -
They are smoking fast! I built myself a rig, but I wouldn’t recommend it as a main DAW now, because of some issues which one may not accept (f.e. no UAD PCIe cards working atm).

I mainly built this setup for 4K video editing and it does this job very impressive.

Yes I know they were talking about the R7 but the R5 should be pretty smoking hot (not literally these days). From what I gather it’s to do with the L2 cache size being 4mb and the L3 16md. The CPU uses the L2 before the L3 and the L2 is also quicker and there not a big enough buffer or something. Didn’t look too hard about it. Something about bottlenecking yada yada. My mate bought an AMD FX 9370 but “downgraded” to an 8370 with 8mb of L2 and it actually runs way better on Cubase than my R5 and the 9370.

I saw a thread in here where it was stated there’s an issue with Windows 10 running a CPU with more than 10 logical cores. That’s what I remember anyway. So it’s possible that the issue isn’t with the CPU but with Windows 10 (and ‘yes’, it affects Intel CPUs as well).

If that’s not the issue then your results seem at first glance to be an anomaly. Though I’d say your statements aren’t much to go by since no actual benchmarking went along with it. Anecdotal evidence is best taken with a pinch of salt I find.

Lastly, there’s also the upcoming platform by AMD for high-performance computing; just announced officially yesterday with more information to come at Computex which is in a couple of weeks I believe.

I will do some benchmarking and post the results here. Just have to finish an open project.

My personal DAWbench (Reaxcomp 64bit) results with RME Babyface Pro (1700X CPU running @ 3.6 GHz)
256 + 128 samples = 776 instances
64 samples = 600
48 samples = 440

256 + 128 samples seem pretty stable, smooth playback
At 64 & 48 samples some peaks occured every now and then, so I went down until it seemed smooth.
I am not a windows expert, this is my experimental setup which I will use for video editing mainly.

But honestly, is 776 plugins enough?..

[/irony]

Never! :wink:

My late 2013 iMac has more power I will ever need for audio. Somehow 4K video editing is a breeze on the Ryzen now.

For future reference - that’s sarcasm - not irony. :smiley:

Both, actually…

Hi,

I found this on Youtube - But it is focused on FL Studio, comparing Ryzen 1800X, i7 7700K and i7 4960X - The Ryzen 7 1800X seems to perform quite well and the guy doing his own video shows graphs for his tests.

This does not mean it would be good for Cubase but it may be - The video may be worth a watch

AMD don’t have thunderbolt to my knowledge so it wouldn’t be any good for UAD interfaces or similar - Anyhow watch the vid and post your thoughts - thanks

I would not bother, final results are quite depressing. I was focusing on a task making use of my own i5 3750k and 8GB 1600MHz memory, and it was to the point of over-loading the CPU. Therefore I seemed to be waiting for a Ryzen for a while and read only good stuff and got myself a R5 1600 with 16GB 2400MHz ram.