Ryzen Cubase 9 Pro

Hey

Has anyone got any experience with Ryzen CPUs and Cubase 9 Pro.

I have a Ryzen 1600X using a x370 board, MME drive and 64GB Ram. I have done a few tests as cubase is struggling to say the least. Just up against Ableton on the same rig, I am able to run 33 instances of Omnisphere with a cpu heavy preset before I get dropouts. With cubase, this number is reduced to just 16. when dropping out on cubase the cpu only shows around 55% used.

Is there any suggestions to optomise things as I am really become fustrated with cubase on this rig.

Thanks in advance

This is such an important aspect of Cubase that has to be improved. If it’s this much slower on a modern system like that then there’s underlying issues that need to be focused on stat. It probably is a matter of having the hardware to do more test setups.

What happens if you disable ASIO Guard?

Is this at the same round trip latency setting?
Hippo

hey man, let me be the first to encourage you to load up 33 instances of omnisphere in a properly load-balanced Vienna Ensemble Pro host (running with cubase) so you can really take advantage of that awesome horsepower you invested in. Vienna will outperform the same vsts against any mainstream DAW so if you want to set cubase free… kill the asio guard, and only use vienna in your vsti rack. For Steinberg being the originator of the entire VST format, their software IS surprisingly bad at hosting 3rd party instances of the instrument plugs; which is why everyone in the composer community (and some of us in pop now) use vienna.

not sure which OS you have but check into killing the HPET, killing redundant video card background processes, ENABLING hyerthread, DISABLING c-states and throttling… google “UNPARK CPU CORES”… a NICE little app is available to download that will easily go into deeeep windows reg-level land and UNLOCK the full power of your CPU. IF you need more info say the word.

Also you should know that Windows 10 has a known issue with managing higher levels of DLLs in active memory which could be giving you some weirdness. Consider testing out a quick Windows 7 (lean) build with cubase and omnisphere to see different results (I’ve built 4 or 5 windows 10 DAW workstations for other producers, but personally I still use an older version of 7 with certain updates removed that allow for better pro-audio realtime latency.

ONE other thing to check… if you are bussing/routing those VST instances through group audio channels (to stay organized like we do), try sending the VSTi audio output DIRECTLY out your hardware outs to test the performance. I noticed that CUBASE chokes hard whenever I have multiple layers of routing and on my active VSTi templates, I do route everything directly out and its a MEGA difference in snappy performance… of course in the mix or post stage, I’ll have complex routing for days… but definitely printed audio by that stage.

Good luck man. Hope something helps.

I don’t suggest going straight to Vienna Ensemble Pro. Your system has proven to be able to handle 33 instances so that’s what you should expect from Cubase too.

Unfortunately, it seems until they rebuild the entire RPC prioritization engine, cubase is going to have issues with load balancing multithreaded vstis, especially ones that require high speed disk access like omnisphere. Unless anyone can confirm cubase operating at equal efficiency to ableton or studio one? I’d like to know for sure. I suspect cubase, for all it’s wonderful perks, is just a slower system than some of its competition… and in that case, Vienna Ensemble Pro is how you can achieve mitigation; that is all.

BONUS pts to anyone who can get cubase to operate at competetive efficiency to VIENNA ENSEMBLE! If that is even possible

Does an SSD help if it’s about disk access?

What’s the point of sending the VST instruments audio output directly to the hardware if you want to edit that sound.

What windows 7 updates/services did you remove?