?s on managing voices, colors and voice rests

I’m working my way through using and editing voices. I have some questions I hope someone can help with with. I’ve put them all on the attached image.

1. If you have a quarter rest in both voices like that, it will only display one. That’s by design. You could change it by using force Duration if you want to display two quarter rests.

2. If you were just trying to flip the stems, select them and press F. I’m not totally clear on what you’re trying to achieve there.

1 Like

Q1: Good way to start learning about Dorico and using voices.
Q2: Voices are handled a little differently in Dorico than say, Sibelius. Implicit rests exists in voices, but you don’t have direct control of them. Think in terms of using V1-Up-stem and V1-down-stem as your first two “voices.” Most music (with the exception of some keyboard music) probably won’t need more that those two; occasionally a V2-Up[or down]-stem might be needed.

In your example above, I would change the green V2 notes to V1-down-stem (they will probably turn red like the 3rd measure). Next, open the bottom Properties panel, select one of those dotted half-notes and see if “End Voice Immediately” is checked – if so, uncheck it. That will give you two rests in the measure (one for up-stem, and one for down-stem voices) – if that’s what you want. If you desire to have just a single rest for both voices, leave it switched on.
Q3: Yes, if you want both notes to be joined together, keep them in the same voice (starting with V1-up-stem, even if the stems go down. They will be automatically adjusted.)

Welcome to Dorico!

1 Like

If you want two lots of rests to show throughout, set this Notation Option:

If you want two lots of rests to show only at this point, select the visible rest and set its Rest Pos property. You can then use the paddles or input a number other than 0 to adjust its vertical position. Same goes for the lower rest.

The reality is that with the default Notation Option (to only show one rest), both rests are actually there; it’s just they’re automatically positioned in exactly the same spot.

1 Like

Thank you all for such a wealth of replies. It answered a lot of questions for me and much to wade into tomorrow. Dorico’s voices tools are rather fun.

Thank you Dan. I working on copying a free downloaded full score of Haydn Trumpet Concerto in Eb for the sole purpose of learning Dorico. I’m not sure of its publish date but I believe it to be a photocopy of some old published full score of the piece. My goal is only to accurately copy what is there. I have never made a study of any score previously but I’m learning more about violin bow techniques than I ever knew before. BTW, I checked out your hymn works.com. Very nice.

1 Like

Dorico gurus, is there a way to print the voice colors? I am working with fugues at the moment, and it would be such a good educational tool.

Turn on Voice Colors within Dorico itself. Then in Print mode tick the View Annotations box just above the Print button. Then print.

Ok, thanks. Now, can I do that for specific voices and specific measures only?

In that case turn off Note and Rest Colors > Voice Colors.

Select a passage where you want the notes a specific colour (n.b. British spelling).

Edit > Filter > Notes by voice (or something along those lines - I’m not in front of a computer) > Whichever voice.
Properties panel > Common > Color.
Rinse and repeat.

You have just made my day! I love Dorico! You guys are awesome. Thank you.