Same Exp Map used on multiple instruments

I just encountered an issue where I have one expression map to control clarinets, applied to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd clarinets. 1st and 2nd were legato, and 3rd were trilling - yet all played back legato. Does this mean I have to have 2 duplicates of that expression map so that each clarinet can operate freely and use different articulations? No problem if it does, I just want to verify if this is what’s required here.

No, it’s not that the expression maps themselves must be duplicated; the key thing is that each clarinet should be addressing a separate endpoint, i.e. a different channel in your VST instrument (or a separate instance of the instrument if you’re using a monotimbral VST), so that the technique being chosen for one won’t affect either of the others.

Hmm, they all had their own channel endpoint, I had already tried duplicating the Expression map for each player, and that seemed to fix the issue. But I wonder if it was some fluke causing it that happened to get fixed coincidentally. Either way, good to know.

As a complete sidenote, I’m so pleased with the maturity of the expression map system in Dorico. This is me coming back to Dorico after a couple years since I wasn’t able to get things functioning properly back then… now things are working extremely well. I’ve even found it makes some sound libraries I quite using due to the way they were programmed (with multiple lengths of notes - Cinebrass and Cinebrass Pro), but with those tied to lengths settings in the expression map, it’s automated so beautifully.

Thanks for the positive feedback. Paul has been working tirelessly to improve expression map support in Dorico throughout, and we still have plans to further enrich the possibilities of controlling sample libraries in future versions, too.