Sample Rate Mismatch / Exporting Audio

Hi,

I have had this issue for quite a while now and, although I had it under control, I am currently having issues. I want to export my project and, as my Focusrite Clarett+ 8Pre is set to 48kHz but my project is set to 44.1, it is telling me there is a mismatch and, when I export my project, it plays back too low. Checking the Project Settings, there is a yellow triangle with exclamation mark claiming my “project settings to not match sound card settings” and, as soon as I try to adjust this to 48 to match, everything sounds low in the project. If I try to change the Focusrite to match the project, i.e. 44.1, it reverts back to 48 so there is always a mismatch.

Oddly, EVERYTHING in the project are VST’s, there is no audio whatsoever, so have no idea of what it is I need to do to get this exported correctly. I’ve tried a variety of methods, including changing the device (to the standard Windows device, for example) but, whatever I do, it does not resolve the issue. I’m kinda stuck here, with no where else to go… other than these forums to see if this is a common and / or known issue.

This is Nuendo 13 (same with 11, which I had before)
Win 11

TIA

Focusrite_2448

Yours,
Peter

Actually, the Interface should automatically adjust to the sample rate of the active Cubase project.
Is this change possibly blocked by another application?
Is it possible to change the sample rate manually if Cubase is not running?

1 Like

It usually does match and I don’t have to do anything. To avoid this drama, I got used to setting up the project to 24/48 but, with this last project, I forgot so the project is set at 24/44.1 but the Focusrite insists on staying at 48 (even if I try and switch it manually).

Thanks for the heads up for something else potentially locking this, I’ll dig deeper to work out why this may be happening.

UPDATE

I’ve done exactly the same on my Win 10 machine (but using Cubase 13) and it works perfectly, i.e. whatever sample rate I set Cubase to play at, it changes the Focusrite respectively on the fly (I hear a click and can see the status change).

Also, on the problem PC, changing samples in Sound Forge updates the Focusrite so, to me, it’s looking like a Win 11 and / or a Nuendo issue. I am going to uninstall & re-install Nuendo, see if that helps. Beyond that, I’m not sure… a full Win 11 re-install, maybe?

Googling isn’t yielding any result so I guess my experience is rare!!!

Uninstalling / reinstalling the drivers and Nuendo hasn’t helped… my quest continues.

One thing I have noticed, which is different to my Win 10 (non Work) PC, is in the Studio Setup window…

HW Sample Rate is set to: 48kHz (Externally Clocked), on my other PC, it doesn’t say “Externally Clocked”

This means that Externally Clocked is switched on. Normally this should be switched off.

I have no idea what why this happened but switching this on / off and changing the sample rate, the pitch was still wrong so, after deleting everything and re-installing Nuendo, I had the same issue so just ended up changing the key. Problem solved. I need to keep a closer eye on this as it was quite possible a rare chain of events… it’s never happened to me in 30+ years of music production… there’s always a first though, lol!!! I’ve had more embarrassing incidents, I’ve no shame in admitting that. Thank you. It most likely was me being a first class knacker :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nuendo is the only application that I allow to use the ASIO drivers, so my projects (and audio interface) typically stay at 96kHz all the time. Any other tools, like Acoustica, Sound Forge, WaveLab, iZotope RX, etc., all use a different driver (Windows Audio, Microsoft Sound Mapper, whatever) so they can be opened / used / closed without touching the interface’s sample rate, while Nuendo is already running. I haven’t had any issues in years with this setup (Windows 10 Pro).

1 Like

Hey Rodney, nice to see you on here :smiley:

TBH, this was a thought I was beginning to ponder over as, a lot of the time, all of the applications… Slack, Zoom, SF, Vegas, etc… are all fighting for their place. I got into a habit of using one thing at a time which, as we all know, isn’t at all practical. I definitely need to improve my workflow to better suit my needs.

Regarding the Win 10 Pro scenario, my “Personal” PC has Win 10 Pro and I have never had this issue or any other conflicting issue, it only seems to be a problem since migrating to Win 11 on my “Work” PC but I am more than happy to blame user error too :slight_smile:

If “externally clocked” is enabled the interface is setting the sample rate of the system.
This is needed if you have a very precise clocking established in your studio or need to sync your clock to a hardware device that can’t follow the interface clock, something like older digital mixers for example.

If you change something in the project settings, the interface does not follow, since it is set to use the external clock.
For the average user, this should be off. Otherwise, you will have problems like @Conz.

Changing the sample rate afterwards, doesn’t repair the problem for already recorded (rendered) material.

1 Like

I never used any physical recordings, the project was entirely VST based. Thank you all.

1 Like

Then it is more important to set the interface to its own clock.
And it is highly recommended to use ASIO capable hardware with the dedicated driver.

1 Like