Sampler track - randomize sample start

Since sampler track doesn’t allow using multisamples it needs a randomize sample start feature so that samples won’t have that machine gun quality when played. It would basically emulate free running oscillator phase.

3 Likes

This is something I heavily utilized in Trackers in the 1990s and I’ve never found a sampler that will do this, strangely. I can record automation and move the sample start around but it’s really finnicky, I would love to have a knob that is 0-100 for the playback start position that could be automated via MIDI.

I like to do stepped 16th note movement on the sample start on long samples to emulate a kind of “sample and hold” technique.

This could just be a new knob in the Playback section, with the usual optional LFO 1 and 2 like so:

cubase-playback-start

Have you tried using Padshop 2 instead?
You can load your sample there and it has the random play position feature.

2 Likes

Nice tip, thanks. I’ve been meaning to deep dive into Padshop. I just really love the simplicity and feedback of Sampler tracks so I would very much love this feature there, too.

@Johnny_Moneto Padshop 2 can not do it. In “red” mode it adds some LFO to the sound, so the sample sounds just like the original (in terms of timbre) but has Vlome moving up/down. If you use “blue” mode - the sample sounds not just like the original one. So no, Padshop can not do it. It would be great to have such a feature in Sample track or Padshop or Halion.

Paid Halion also can not do it. Ok, I have figured out, HALIon can do it.