"Save as" makes weird extensions that won't open

I’m new to Dorico (a couple weeks in) and having trouble with “Save as.” I always make new files as I go, so if my original is BeckysSong then when I “save as” I make the newest update “BeckysSong.B”. So I’m looking at my file list and the latest 2 were not saved as Dorico files. My BeckysSong.G is a Dorico file but the BeckysSong.H and BeckysSong.I are listed as “H File” and “I File” and won’t open. Of course the newest ones contain a lot of edits and changes… would love any suggestions!

I suspect that you may have gotten overwritten the “.dorico” part of the filename. Try adding “.dorico” at the end of the filename and see if the file will open.

OMG, that worked! I never would’ve guessed to try it that way. Thank you so much!!

Do you know you can set a keystroke for save as and automatically an increasing number. Maybe handy for your workflow. So if you hit that keystroke the file you are working on saves as your file name in the same folder with a number after your filename. So the file name of the first time you hit it is yourfilename - 01

Very good suggestion!. I am also new in Dorico. Could you maybe show, how to do that .
Thanks!

May be it is not the best idea to use dots in your file name. That might confuse the operating system which application to use to open that file (usually this is determined by what comes after the dot).

@gerardka go to edit menu > Preferences or the keystroke Crtl,

Key Commands > Key Commands > File > Save New Version.

Click on Press shortcut, press the shortcut you want, click on add Key Command.

Funny there are so many terms for keycommand, keystroke, shortcut.

1 Like

Thank you very much!
Heel erg bedankt!

1 Like

Graag gedaan.

Hi, thanks for the tip. I got to the Save New Version section, and then wasn’t sure what to type on the Press shortcut part. I was trying to type in my file name but that wasn’t working.

You have to set your shortcut, whatever you want. I for example pressed CtrlShiftq.

If you have the shortcut you just hit it when you want to save a new version. The new version will automatically get your filename with an increasing number.

So your first file is myfile.dorico when you hit your shortcut you get a new file in the same folder, myfile - 01.dorico. Hit it again you get myfile - 02.dorico and so on. It is really handy.