Save multiple projects in one folder?

Hi!

I’m currently organizing my projects in folders, e.g. called “Hit Song” in which I have the Cubase project and the folders “Audio”, “Backups”, etc. However, at times I want to create a new project, using “Save as…” in which I might want to work only with vocals, change the tempo, or whatever. Can I then save it in the same “Hit Song” folder, and call it “HitSong_Vox”? Or could this create any clash if I, say, delete a track in the new one and then “Remove unused media”?

And if I were to create a completely new project, maybe recording new drums from scratch. Can I in the same manner save this in the same folder or does it need its own “Audio” and “Backup”-folders?

I hope you understand my question,
thanks in advance!

Kevin Croner

Hi,

I’m sorry, I don’t understand it completely. In general, the structure is always the same (following):

• Cubase Projects A [folder]
    • Project 1 [folder]
      • Audio [folder]
        Images [folder]
        Cubase_Project.cpr [file]
  • Project 2 [folder]
    • Audio [folder]
      Images [folder]

• Cubase Projects B - if needed [folder]
    • Project 3 [folder]
      • Audio [folder]
        Images [folder]
  • Project 4 [folder]
    • Audio [folder]
      Images [folder]

If you are creating a brand new version or song with no files in common it is much better to create a new Project folder.
However, you can save new versions of an existing project to the same folder with no issues.
It actually makes it easier if there are a number of files in common - like “Hit Song” and “Hit Song with Nasty Vocals”.

BUT:
Changes you make in one Project will NOT be reflected in the others.
And if you delete files in one (empty the trash and check “Delete” rather than “Remove from Pool”) you may end up with missing files in other projects.
Or if you edit a file rather than “create new version” - same issue.

But if you keep these things in mind and realize a lot of content is shared?

No, no conflicts. I do it all the time. Especially with “Mix 1”, “Mix 2”, etc.
Or even really new versions of a certain piece that still have some stuff in common.

Remember you can always “Backup Project” to a new folder and chose NOT to move unused files.
The files will still be in the original location for the other projects but only ones used in THAT project will be moved to the NEW location.

Hugh

Edit: One thing I should mention is that before you “Backup” one of these shared folder Projects/Versions you should open the Pool for that project and use the function “Remove Unused Files”. This will move them to the Trash.
Then Empty the Trash - BUT! Do not “Delete” files. Just “Remove from Pool”.
This will make sure they are still available to earlier versions that may use them.

1 Like

Thank you Hugh!

That was what I wondered. So just to be 100% clear, if I would do like you said and for example save a “Mix 2” in which I realize that I want to delete all the backing vocals tracks - should I then NOT use “Remove Unused Media” and “Empty Trash” (if I’d ever want the backing vocals back again)? Or can I do this safely? If the projects are saved in the same folder.

Thank you Hugh!

That was what I wondered. So just to be 100% clear, if I would do like you said and for example save a “Mix 2” in which I realize that I want to delete all the backing vocals tracks - should I then NOT use “Remove Unused Media” and “Empty Trash” (if I’d ever want the backing vocals back again)?

Or can I do this safely? Just not pressing “Delete”? If the projects are saved in the same folder.

And if you don’t mind: when I in Cubase “Remove Unused Media” and “Move to Trash” - is this NOT the same as my computers trash folder? It’s just the project pool’s trash folder?

Thanks again!

Hi,

1. When you delete the event from the project, the Audio file jumps to the Trash in the Pool. The file itself is still present in the folder (on the system level).

2. When you select Empty Trash the message appears in Cubase: “Do you want to read the files from hard disk or only remove clips from Pool?”
    2.1) Remove from Pool = The file is still present on the hard drive.
    2.2) Erase = The file is deleted on the system level.
    2.3) Cancel = No change

3. The similar process is, when you select Remove unused Media Again, the message appears, and you can click to
    3.1) Remove from Pool = the file is kept on the system level
    3.2) Trash = the file is kept on the system level, and unused media is moved to the Pools Trash
    3.3) Cancel = No change

1 Like