Save Plug-in Presets Track Channel/Load Input Channel

Acting as both engineer and performer for my recordings; since it’s difficult to set plug-in parameters for the source I intend to record whilst the instrument is in my hands, instead, my approach has been to record a snippet, playback at unity gain, insert and set plug-ins over the track channel, save the plug-in settings as presets, insert and load the same plug-ins over the corresponding input channel and then remove inserts from track channel.

I have been assuming that since both input and track channels are at unity the resulting audio should be identical whether I process (using the exact same plug-in configuration) my source with inserts over input or track channel.

Have I made oversights?

Hey Borbo. I often do the same thing and get great results. My only advice is keep an eye on the input and output levels to make sure you avoid clipping. I have taken the preset protection limiter and set the input to 0 with the output to -0.4 so I can go back after running through the parts and see if there are any transients kicking to hard and then adjust from there.

Hi Rattfink. Pardon my late reply. Nice suggestion re using the preset protection limiter; not familiar with it myself yet, guessing it’s a VST plug-in. Thanks for your feedback.

Would someone please explain ‘preset protection limiter’?

Thanks

It’s the name of a preset of the Steinberg limiter FX called “protection limiter”. But that will not really help you on an input channel.

Thanks,

why would it not be helpful over input channel?

Because VST software limiters can’ t prevent clipping at the A/D input stage.

I understand what you mean, however, if the A/D input gain is optimal and then from the output of a VST plug-in, which is inserted over a cubase input channel, if there is gain, couldn’t that lead to clipping on its way to recorder stage in cubase?

If you don’ t record to 32 Bit FP then yes…

What does FP stand for? I have only ever experienced recording at 24bit/48kHz; I am not sure I understand what you mean.

Would you please explain for me? :slight_smile:

32-bit floating point.