Save track preset WITH group/bus settings?

I’m wondering if it’s possible to save a track, but keep it’s group/fx/bus/ect. settings consistent. I’m making a template, and would like to make track presets of tracks I could instantly load into a new project with the template, but have them automatically be routed to their correct groups (i.e, my violin tracks are automatically linked to the “strings” group track in the template).

OR, is there possibly a command where you can add a track to a folder, and that track will instantly obtain all group settings for that specific folder?

file > export > selected tracks (make sure you have your desired group & fx tracks selected when doing the save).

then file > import > track archive

You made my day.

I put a request for track templates but missed this - the weird naming of stuff in Cubase.
Another reason to upgrade…

Me too, thx.

Glad to help.

And yes! – the naming convention is inconsistent in how it is called one way upon saving, and another when loading. It is an old feature as far as I remember, it is super handy, but the issue I take with it is they never implemented it into their lovechild MediaBay, so you cannot preview the track archive from it before loading.

I found a semi workaround kind of to use in Elements(as well) that helps quite a bit.

Use the disable track thingy - and save major projects as template with many things disabled.
Makes loading really quick, even if it holds a lot of sampler stuff.

Enable what you need when you need it, or delete if knowing you will never use in that project.
But it’s all there and routed and ready.

About naming conventions again - it really gets to me.
A lot of things are called “VST” something - and you think it has to do with plugins - but doesn’t.
VST connections, VST system link etc.
VST connections would be routings in any other daw.
List Editor - is really midi list editor.
Track archives - is really track templates.
Busses are just inputs and outputs - who would have guessed.
Groupchannels are busses by convention.
Logical Editor is really Midi Logical Editor as opposed to Project Logical Editor.
A recorded clip is audio event, and recorded midi clip is part with midi vents. But audio events can be put into audio part as well.
VST instrument channels would be Instrument Rack in another daw.
Sonar has a good approach and even what you call Instrument track in Cubase is made into a synth rack entry.
Cubase limit this a lot depending on version, but still.

I think developers are really lost somewhere…

1 Like

Re disabling (the ‘disable track’ function to be precise): this only works fo audio tracks for me, not instruments, groups, fx. Is Elements actually more featured in this regard?

You are right - thanks for noticing.

“For audio tracks, the track context menu contains an item named “Disable Track””

I read too much into this when I read it. Sloppy reading…

Maybe you can make a freeze of synths, just have midi on to create some audio.
Then save as project template.
This could work reducing load time of project…have to check though.

Checked - it works. When you unfreeze it loads the full lot.

I’ve put in a request a while back to enable Freeze on Instrument Tracks without any MIDI for this exact purpose but I think it fell on deaf ears. (Why for the life of me you can’t freeze an empty instrument track, I don’t know. It seems obvious in this context that it would be a great feature.)

But - all you have to do is create an empty MIDI region on the track and boom, Freeze works. The issue with that is that it creates a bunch of empty freeze .wav files on disk. Which is annoying and accumulate quickly if you have hundreds or thousands of session files (ie: one session per cue, like I usually do). I don’t always want to delete the frozen tracks because I might need them later and it’s handy to just have them already in the session with their Reverb send routing etc.

You also have to remember to port these freeze files around with your sessions. If you forget the freeze files, oops - all the instruments load up into RAM instead of staying frozen, defeating the purpose.

Another issue is - you can’t delete frozen tracks. You have to unfreeze them one at a time, wait for the instrument to load, then delete them. So if you have a template with 50 frozen instruments and you only use a few, look forward to a lot of tedious unfreezing to remove the unused instruments.

I also discovered if you create a template file with frozen tracks, then use Cubase’s New Project from template, it unfreezes the frozen tracks when you create a new project feeding you the error that the “cache file for can’t be found.”

So midi clip does not need any data, that’s good to know. Thought it needed to make samples also.

Yes, one has to make a couple of templates that cover different content, I guess. One bauta template is probably not the best idea.

Haven’t checked, but it is mentioned to be able to copy between projects as well - since you can have multiple open. So that might cover some simpler setups and just copy paste. Have to experiment there a bit.

But I will probably upgrade to Cubase 8 later on. Then there are track archives.

So midi clip does not need any data, that’s good to know. Thought it needed to make samples also.

Yes, one has to make a couple of templates that cover different content, I guess. One bauta template is probably not the best idea.

Haven’t checked, but it is mentioned to be able to copy between projects as well - since you can have multiple open. So that might cover some simpler setups and just copy paste. Have to experiment there a bit.

But I will probably upgrade to Cubase 8 later on. Then there are track archives.

i reckon a more systemic approach would be to simply implement and allow for disabling any track type. (yes this would get tricky when for instance disabling a midi track routed to an instrument track; ie. does it disable the instrument itself as well? and so forth… but it’s a needed feature i think.)

Thank you for this thread - you made my day too!

OMG!!! Thank you! I was pulling my hair out with this whole “saving tracks and importing them into other projects” thing. I was just just about to go to the roof and jump off, then I found this thread right before I went through with it. Thanks again man! :laughing: