"Save Yourself" - The Stragglers

I’ve been ‘rebuilding’ some previously posted tunes from recent years… some very much in need of a 2012 makeover! This is the latest:

Save Yourself

All thoughts, opinions, snare assessments welcome!
:sunglasses:

Sounds good, even the snare is acceptable :sunglasses:
Bass really stands out nice, maybe a bit too much. Really like the harmonies!

There’s a strange short dip in the drums at 2:12 you might want to look at.

Hi Ian

Sounds pretty good to me. I like the change to the vox sound at 1:37. I think that works great. :sunglasses: Snare too. :sunglasses:

Just a matter of opinion but something may or may not like to try is to move the kick and snare in relation to each other. It could enhance the different feel between verse and chorus. The chorus already hints at having a more driven beat compared to the slightly more laid back verse. IMVHO during the section at 1:37 the kick and snare should both play hard straight four beats to the bar.

Personally I’m not a fan of the lead guitar sound.

Cheers
Dave

Oh, I’m SO pleased to hear that! :laughing:

There’s NO WAY Shayne will let me turn down his bass so… :wink:

Ok, will check :slight_smile:
Thanks!

Snare too? Definitely a break through then !! :smiley:

Hmmm… doing that in Jamstix could be tricky :confused:

Yup, can try that…but again, 'persuading JS to play ball… hmmmm… some manual intervention may be required…

Oh, I see what’s going on here, I get it… I’ve finally got (affter 10 years) the snare issue sorted so now you’re gonna pick on my guitar tone over the next millenia instead! :imp:

:laughing:

Thanks guys :sunglasses:

Oh, I’m SO pleased to hear that! :laughing:

There’s NO WAY Shayne will let me turn down his bass so… :wink:

Ok, will check :slight_smile:
Thanks!

Snare too? Definitely a break through then !! :smiley:

Hmmm… doing that in Jamstix could be tricky :confused:

Yup, can try that…but again, ‘persuading’ JS to play ball… hmmmm… some manual intervention may be required…

Oh, I see what’s going on here, I get it… I’ve finally got (affter 10 years) the snare issue sorted so now you’re gonna pick on my guitar tone over the next millenia instead! :imp:

:laughing:

Thanks guys :sunglasses:

Pretty good mix here Ian, fabulous :sunglasses:
Very catchy song. I can picture this on the radio easily. Great stuff :sunglasses:
Damn, I like the snare. Doctor!!! :smiley:

Cheers
Phil

Hi Ian,

Sounds good, though maybe a bit bass heavy.
I agree with Dave’s comment about the section at 1:37.
I haven’t used Jamstix for quite a while now, I use EZdrummer at the moment, but what I did (and still do) is export the midi and make my changes in there.
It takes some time, but you can add or delete fills, accents and cymbal hits, and fix things like machine gun snares etc.

But the snare sounds good! :sunglasses: Is it Jamstix or SSD4?

Anyway, good song! :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Wim

Sorted! :smiley:

I agree with Dave’s comment about the section at 1:37.

also sorted! :smiley:

I haven’t used Jamstix for quite a while now, I use EZdrummer at the moment, but what I did (and still do) is export the midi and make my changes in there. It takes some time, but you can add or delete fills, accents and cymbal hits, and fix things like machine gun snares etc.

I lost this ability with JS3 (which is 32bit) running under C6-64bit. The MIDI export didn’t work. :confused: However, I just discovered recently that now I’m using jBridge it DOES work, so… :slight_smile:

… the snare sounds good! > :sunglasses: > Is it Jamstix or SSD4?

SSD4 - my new ‘standard’ for drums :wink:

Anyway, good song! > :slight_smile: >

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Mix updated. :sunglasses:

Hi Ian

Sounds good to me. :sunglasses: I would say one of your best Stragglers mixes.

I have a question for you though :smiling_imp:

The section at 2:21. Is it supposed to be a drop down section? I ask because it actually sounds kind of louder, possibly due to the limiter not being clamped down by the drums there?

Actually I have another question. Did you change any compression or limiter settings from the previous version? The earlier mix didn’t quite seem to pump in time to the music but in this version it is good. Perhaps the change to the bass level has helped.

You might want to check the tuning of the last note. It could be the harmonics in the guitar tone but something sounds out there between the instruments to me.

Cheers

Actually, I think so too! :laughing: After having that bunch of songs recorded a produced by Eddie as you know, I now of course have a really good professional reference to work toward. While I haven’t been unable to match the overall sonic character and vocal mix of those tracks I think this one is the closest I’ve got so far using what tools and skills I have at my disposal. :sunglasses:

I have a question for you though > :smiling_imp: >

The section at 2:21. Is it supposed to be a drop down section? I ask because it actually sounds kind of louder, possibly due to the limiter not being clamped down by the drums there?

You’re right. I had noticed that too to be honest. Didn’t bother me too much, but as it’s getting ‘noticed’ so I might revisit it. It could be a compressor thing in combination with elements in the arrangement itself… ?

Actually I have another question.

:astonished:

Did you change any compression or limiter settings from the previous version? The earlier mix didn’t quite seem to pump in time to the music but in this version it is good. Perhaps the change to the bass level has helped.

No changes to compressors that I recall, but the bass was pulled back a couple of dB.

You might want to check the tuning of the last note. It could be the harmonics in the guitar tone but something sounds out there between the instruments to me.

Ok. Noted! :slight_smile:

Thanks Dave. :sunglasses:

I didn’t hear the original, this mix seems really tight. I like the change in the vocal mix and the harmonies are working great. that section where the vox mix changes, rocks and it comes out of it nice. ya at 2:19 seems to get louder, no worries though, didn’t seem to bother overall. hmm ya and the last note, not sure. its a very good arrangement/song. I never tried one of those drum programs, sounds cool how you use it.

I also listened and agree with other people’s comments. I might add that it’s the drums together with the bass that seems a little too loud to me. But not a big deal. The mix does sound very good. They just keep getting better and better.

Thankyou gentlemen! :slight_smile: I’ve made a few more adjustments based on your and others suggestions. Much appreciated! :smiley:

Hi Ian,

Happy Year of the Dragon. :wink:

Yes, this is a good mix, very fat and solid (mostly) and I guess it reflects
the general knowledge/experience/learning curve you’ve been on via ER and Roundhead.
Well, you seem to be pointing in that direction, just letting you know it shows here. :wink:

I think the mix is a bit kick and bass heavy, and as executive producer I feel you need to
deliver some disappointment to Shayne. Console him with the fact that at least the bass
sounds very nice, but duck it a dB or two, along with the kick drum.

I’d like to suggest (anal retentive-ism showing, sorry :blush: ) some tightening of the vocal. Some examples
would be:

00:17~00:20
00:53
00:56
01:02
01:33

As to the “telephone voice” break, it’s good. What would happen if you cut some more off
the top and then boosted the overall level?

I found the strings in the breakdown a bit busy and distracting.
What would happen if you either simplified them or just cut them entirely?

Ah yes, a snare I can live with! :laughing:

However, and at the risk of adding confirmation to your suspicions, I agree with Dave that the lead guitar tone is rather boxy.

Overall, a very catchy tune and a (mostly) punchy mix. Great performances, well done blokes!

Jet

Xin Nian Kuai le! :smiley:

I think the mix is a bit kick and bass heavy, and as executive producer I feel you need to
deliver some disappointment to Shayne.

:smiley: Yup… have pulled them down a notch or two…

…some tightening of the vocal.

I made a couple of VERY minor adjustments but have to confess I’m kinda struggling to hear (and see) and observable issues really :confused:

As to the “telephone voice” break, it’s good. What would happen if you cut some more off
the top and then boosted the overall level?

I played with it’s EQ though didn’t change the level…at this stage anyway. I’ll continue to review though (in the car!). :slight_smile:

I agree with Dave that the lead guitar tone is rather boxy.

Of course you agree with Dave. That’s where it ALL starts… ganging up and conspiring together … sheeesh :unamused: I have no chance! :laughing:
Ok, have tweaked the tone on this latest mix… just for you two :stuck_out_tongue: (you still probably won’t like it!)

Overall, a very catchy tune and a (mostly) punchy mix. Great performances, well done blokes!

Thankyou! :slight_smile: