Sax Quartet order in setup menu not SATB?

When I have four saxes (soprano, alto, tenor, baritone) - the auto arrange function at the bottom of the setup menu (to select from jazz, orchestral, band), all will reverse what I think is the most likely natural pitch order (SATB) to this order instead -

Is this normal? I’m not a sax player or band director so I have no idea if for some reason maybe that’s the accepted norm but it seems a bit odd.

No

Jesper

1 Like

Something is off. I’ve never seen Dorico behave this way.

1 Like

Perhaps you’ve edited the instrument score orders? Or perhaps you’ve fiddled with the default names of one or more of the instruments?

1 Like

Just tested and they all correctly work high to low for me in all 3 sortings. You might want to share a cutdown file that exhibits that behavior.

1 Like

Or perhaps you’ve fiddled with the default names of one or more of the instruments?

Ah, this is most likely the issue then, as just last week I had renamed and saved all the default instruments for Saxophone as simply Sax - since I was regularly removing the longer form names from my scores, I thought by renaming the defaults I could avoid having to do that every time.

Is there any way to adjust how they interact within score order without returning to their default names? It would be also good to know how to adjust this for the future when renaming instruments. Thanks!

2 Likes