Scale Assist Question

Hello,

I’m a fairly new Cubase user and I had a question about the scale assist feature. Because I don’t know music theory, I’ve often used the Komplete Kontrol scale modes but I have recently changed to using Kontakt which means I lose that functionality. I’ve read the manual for scale assist and I have tested it out but when I change scales, it doesn’t seem to change the audio so I had a few questions.

1. If I double click in each track to make a region and then select D minor for each one, then select “snap live input”, am I to assume that I will be playing everything in D minor scale correct? and if so, is it recording it D minor? The reason why I ask is that after I record something and then change that to another scale, it doesn’t change anything.
  2. This leads me to my next question, do I have to select “snap pitch editing” each time I change a scale?

I’m used to Komplete control, just set it once and if I want to change each track to a different scale, I just change it in the KK plugin. Not sure how to change the scale of each track in Cubase.

Thanks!

1 Like

I have the same actual question, scale assist as we have in komplete kontrol is pretty nice to find ideas quickly (which, I think, is even greater with maschine hardware). I’d be curious if someone has an answer on this topic too ! I mean, we sometimes can find some options but if the scale assistant can do it directly, it means cubase can apply that to all instruments and we can rely on cubase only which could be nicer. :smiley:

By the way, if we only go back to kontakt, I remember something I never used a lot but maybe you can find something there (see screenshot)

I’m not familiar with Komplete Kontrol’s Scale Assistant but it sounds like it forces you to only play Notes within a specific Scale. In Cubase you’d do this by adding a Chord Track and putting a Scale Event on it. Then in the Inspector for MIDI & Instrument Tracks in the Chord tab you can set it so your live playing conforms to the Chord Track.

Hello ! Nice trick, I’ll try that and see if it works for me. Yes, about komplete kontro : that’s the idea. You select root note, modes, etc. Arp/chord mode as well

Yea I’ve since moved on to Scaler 2. Superior compared to Komplete Kontrol or Cubase scale mode.