Scan-Software (Photoscore?) for Dorico?

Hello

I’ve used the Scan Software Photoscore for Sibelius.

Is there also a Scan Software for Dorico available? Or can I use Photoscore for importing scanned musical notes into Dorico?

Thank you for your answer and best wishes!

You can use PhotoScore, and export MusicXML files from there to import into Dorico.

Curious if there’s been an update on this topic… Any plans for a Steinberg family PhotoScore application for Dorico? Or should I go ahead an invest in PhotoScore? (or perhaps there are better alternatives to work with Dorico?)

There’s been a very good review of music ocr apps in scoring notes. IIRC, photoscore ultimate is one of the two serious programs available.

I’ve got used to working around Photoscore’s shortcomings. But I still tend to send its output to Sibelius and then use Sibelius to produce the xml - not least as Dorico fails to recognise Photoscore’s multi-bar rests, won’t import their double-flat symbol, and falls over with complex multi-voice tuplets.

Photoscore has not advanced for a few years now (it still generates xml v2 files, even though the current standard is v4). It really struggles to get slurs accurate; it fails to recognise old style rests; it struggles with old style C clefs; it cannot cope with tremolos… etc. etc.

That said, I have a developed a personal workflow that means Photoscore is still much quicker than manually transcribing!

I still have Photoscore installed, but rarely use it anymore. Too many errors that are tedious to weed out, and it’s a bit clumsy to work with. By now, I’m reasonably fluent in Dorico’s note entry, so I don’t mind starting a score from scratch in many cases.
Not having to think about other errors than the ones I make myself makes for a more relaxed workflow. It’s also to do with the fact that working in Dorico is closer to a musical activity, because your immediate feedback is sound and top-notch notation. In Photoscore, it’s mainly about cleaning up garbage that shouldn’t be there in the first place. It feels like first having to scrub dead insects from the windscreen before you can enjoy the ride.

1 Like

It has advanced last year, it’s now HD… Much more accurate than it was. But still problems with unusual clefs (1st line g-clef). And export to Sibelius still helps to get working xmls

I use the iOS version of NotateMe including PhotoScore (In-App purchase). Overall, this is a comparatively inexpensive solution, because I can also import scanned notes as jpg if the quality of the camera images is insufficient.
The export as MIDI or xml files also works without any problems, I save these files in my iCloud Drive and can import them from there into my DAW.
The quality of the note recognition of the iOS version is quite good in my opinion. I correct the recognition errors manually.
It is also useful that I can immediately listen to the photographed notes in NotateMe.
Compared to ScanScore, which I installed on my PC, NotateMe / PhotoScore has the edge.

I have latest version (9.0.0) - I saw no significant improvement over earlier versions. That said, it does a job and I use it regularly.

I’ve noticed some real changes, especially when there are cross-stave notes. And it looks really cleaner on a retina display (but quite bad on a simple hd display). Overall, better recognition quality (but hey, there’s still a lot of room for improvement)

… is there any information, if there are Update-Plans from Neuratron/Photoscore?

Don’t get me started…

For me, cross staff notes always end up misplaced. I dread having to use PhotoScore for Piano scores. Where it does manage to recognise a cross-staff note, it appears incapable of creating the necessary rest in the staff it leaves.

And it’s use of voices is frankly idiosyncratic! A run of semiquavers in voice 1 will randomly include a minim from voice 3. A succession of single notes (clearly a single voice, though stem directions may vary) will suddenly decide that all down-stems are voice 2.

It always assumes that (say) slurred E to Eb is a tie!

It rarely correctly identifies tenor or alto clef changes - preferring to create some obscure chord.

It frequently confuses an accidental at the start of a line as a key signature change.

I totally fails understand a bar rest with a ‘1’ above it.

It is poor at working out exactly where triplets occur.

I’ve become accustomed to the idiosyncrasies and limitations. I have developed my workarounds, but it is not a joyful experience.

I agree 100% here. Those are exact situations I have to deal with too. And you forgot to mention the way the dynamics are rarely accurate and often misplaced. That’s all part of the room for improvement I was thinking about :wink:

I use Play Score on Android, which exports to xml. Very helpful developer, and product is improving quickly. It may not be accurate enough for other users, but it works for my needs. It needs some intervention, but not so much that I ever think it would have been quicker to type the music into Dorico manually.

Oh, and I meant to say, Play Score is really inexpensive.

Thanks all. Seems like none of the current software applications available would actually make me happy. I’ll opt for manual input and just get it right the first time and save my money for when the Dorico programmers come out with something great.

There’s an open-source program, Audiveris. I wouldn’t say it’s easy to use, but it’s certainly quite powerful — you can even sample glyphs and train the model to improve recognition. The latest 5.2 version, which released a couple months ago, now has better tools for making corrections.

2 Likes