Scarlett Interfaces — increased latency on Input 1

Hello,

I have been experiencing an issue where my Focusrite Scarlett interfaces have substantially more latency on Input 1. On both my 2i4 (2nd gen) and 18i8 (3rd gen), Audio Recording Offset Compensation will add either 12 or 13 ms when testing Input 1, but only 0.3 to 0.6 ms when testing any of the other inputs. While I initially suspected faulty hardware, I performed a similar test in Reaper, only to find that all inputs were, by contrast, giving consistent latency readings. This is true for both of the aforementioned Scarlett interfaces.

I am using Cubasis 3.4.3 on a 3rd gen iPad Pro (12.9 inch) running iOS 15.4. I have tried connecting both directly to the iPad via USB cables and through USB hubs (powered and unpowered) with no difference. I also tested different 1/4” cables with no difference in readings.

I cannot remember whether this has always been an issue for me, or whether it is a more recent occurrence. I began noticing the issue earlier this year, when I started explicitly performing latency tests. However, I recall having trouble making stereo recordings, last year (they sounded out-of-phase and generally “wrong”). Everything else in Cubasis seems to be functioning correctly. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling with no noticeable change to the issue.

Interestingly, when I change the latency in Cubasis (Setup->Audio->Latency), it seems to noticeably affect Input 1’s latency, but has little effect on the other inputs. At its best, however, Input 1’s latency compensation comes out at ~5 ms, with the other inputs remaining under 1 ms.

Does anyone have suggestions? Regrettably, I have no other interfaces with which to perform tests at this time.

Thank you!

Hi @arhdrums,

Thanks for your message and welcome to the Cubasis forum.

I’d suggest to get in touch with our friends at Focusrite to discuss the problem. If required, we’re at hand to have them equipped with Cubasis promo codes for testing purposes.

Thanks
& stay well,
Lars

Hi @LSlowak,

Thanks your response. I’ll get in touch with the Focusrite folks.

Take care, and I hope all’s well!
—Ari

Hi @arhdrums,

Thanks your response. I’ll get in touch with the Focusrite folks.

Sounds good, thanks! Please keep us updated about the topic!

Thanks
& stay well,
Lars

Hi Lars,

I spoke with Focusrite, and after some tests, we verified that all of the hardware was working correctly. I also ran tests with the Onyx Round Trip Latency Meter app, and found that all inputs had identical latency readings — on both iPad and iPhone. Cubasis on the iPhone exhibited the same latency issue with Input 1 that I’ve been experiencing on the iPad. Focusrite’s theory is that it has something to do with the interaction between iOS’ Core Audio driver(s) and Cubasis.

Interestingly, a friend said that he hadn’t noticed any issues when using his Scarlett 18i8 with Cubasis. However, I don’t know whether he explicitly tried using Audio Recording Offset Compensation.

I have noticed that on both the Onyx app and in Reaper that the latency readings on each input were consistent between each test. With Audio Recording Offset Compensation, however, I’ve found that Inputs 2-4 will fluctuate by a range of about 0.7 ms. This happens regardless of which inputs, outputs, and cables I use. This might also be the case for Input 1, as it will sometimes go between 12 ms and 13 ms of compensation between tests.

Also, when changing the buffer size in Cubasis, Input 1 is greatly affected, while the other inputs see no change. Should that be the case?

That’s where things stand, now. Cubasis is still very much usable (and of course I enjoy using it); it’s just the latency issue with Input 1 that’s giving me issues. Mono recordings are fine, and Audio Recording Offset Compensation works quite well in that case.

Aside from buying more expensive interfaces (MixPre, etc.), do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!
—Ari

@LSlowak

Hi, Lars! I just realized that I didn’t tag you in my follow-up post. Doing that now in case you didn’t see my response, above.

Thanks!
—Ari

Hi @arhdrums,

Thanks for your message.

We can offer to have our friends at Focusrite equipped with promo codes for testing purposes.

Best,
Lars

Thanks, @LSlowak! If they request one, I’ll let you know.

Thanks again, and take care,
Ari

1 Like

Thanks Ari!

Best,
Lars